May the force be with you!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nero hero

May the force be with you!

Post by nero hero »

I am new to the forum and have a son who will be taking the exam on Saturday @ KEFW and I don't mind telling you that it has been one of the most stressful times of my life.

good luck folks
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

GOOD LUCK, nero hero and your ds, so stressful, but you are giving your son the best chance, it will soon be done and dusted! Lots of praise, so proud of you for trying your best, etc!
Please don't make the mistake I did with oldest ds, and try and grill him about how many questions he left out/ didn't complete etc! It won't achieve anything, apart from worry you and depress poor ds!
Once it's over, relax, enjoy any treats you have planned for the hard work and effort your ds has put in and treat yourself, to something, no matter how small! :lol:
GOOD LUCK!
nero hero

Post by nero hero »

Thanks Kegs Mom 3...

I suppose I'm more concerned if he should fail, how the little fellow copes with the failure and how this effects him in later life for future exams.

I have had my nipper tutored for 8 months and he's getting top marks, around 96% in verbal / non-verbal and maths and he's very confident however confidence hangs on a few questions .. Its odd but I feel guilty putting him through this stress. I have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other..

I know its worth the effort should he achieve his goal..
fm

Post by fm »

In my experience, the children cope a lot better than their parents do!
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Very best wishes to all candidates (and parents) for Saturday. If you are about Crystal we are saying our prayers!
nero hero

Post by nero hero »

@FM
your soooo right, for sure they do.
@everyone :)
I guess its because children are more current thinkers as we plan and forecast life they seem to look at today not tomorrow. I've told my ds that a good education opens more doors and gives you more choice in life but I think he responds more to it'll give you a big house, nice car and cute girl friend "Loads 'a' money" I suppose everyone has a driving force. :)

I myself take exams three or four times a year (I'm an IT administrator BTW) so I know first had how stressful it can be.

I took my lad to sit the BV exam and couldn't believe how may kids were taking the exam. I watched him being led off by a six former into the school and to be honest I was a quivering mess, while he just took it on the chin. I quizzed him on the way out and he just said "yeahhh alright" and that was that :) all those hours of training and study for "yeah its was okay" I thought to myself is this boy made of ice? a few days later he asked me a few questions of a comparative nature regarding KES and BV and I just told him "KES will be harder and maybe a slightly different format. The truth is son I don't really know, just try your best and I'm proud of you for working your socks off".
That statement I made to him a few weeks ago seemed to change him somewhat he seemed more focused and showed more determination to succeed.. so yeahh I'm worried, he like most of the kids attending have worked so hard and even if he don't succeed his hard work wont go unrewarded..
TraineeDad

Post by TraineeDad »

The night before the biggy...

Please don't say to them something like "this is the biggest exam of your life or some such" - that is not going to help!

Also tell them to expect not to finish all the questions - as time seems to be the main difficulty rather than the questions themselves.

Good luck to everyone. 8)
Regards

TraineeDad
za1

kegs

Post by za1 »

Something I learny last year (and to endorse Traineedads comments) :

- When my son told me he had missed a few questions, I was a bit concerned (even though I was warned that this would be the case). Then I found that every child we spoke to (and feedback on this forum) missed questions.

This is normal.

Please just tell your kids to NOT WORRY if they can't do a question and move on quickly. The test is geared for this kind of approach. It's looking for a methodical approach as well as ability. So please remember :

- just ask them to answer as many questions as they can
- not to worry of they can't answer a question and MOVE ON
- not to worry if they miss questions. (unless they miss 90 out of a 100....in which case, yes - please worry).
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

I told my son that the result doesn't matter, just giving it a bash is the most important thing.

I'm now trying to take my own advice :D This is my 3rd year in a row and I'm quite uptight about it!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now