KES - Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
twc

Post by twc »

Good to hear some parents are getting good news!
Does anyone know how many scholarships (music or academic) or AP is
given out this year and how many are invited for these interviews?

I know they interview two groups (types) of applicants - the first group which is taking place this week and next week are for scholarships/AP and the second group to take place in early Feb are for borderline cases...but I wonder for the first group, can an AP be given without a scholarship?

I wonder how intense the competition is for these AP / scholarships?! It would be quite a sinking feeling (sorry to sound pessimistic) if one goes through all the scholarship/AP interview and don't get it !?
fm

Post by fm »

About 5 Foundation scholarships for the best 5 candidates in the exam.

About 15 academic scholarships ranging from 20% to 50%.

About 20/25 boys on assisted places.

2 Music scholarships.

The same boy, however, may have an assisted place and academic scholarships so the above is not a matter of adding the places together.

The normal procedure is:

a) interview of scholarship and assisted places
b) interview of borderline
c) all offers sent out.

Thus, if you hear absolutely nothing, it means your child has either passed well enough to get straight in without an interview or has failed outright and will not be considered.
nero hero

odd?

Post by nero hero »

I rang KES today and had a chat with administration and she point blank refused to give any and rightly so information with regards to our DC been offered a place.

I would be very skeptical (not wishing to offend) people who have supposedly been offered interviews over the phone.

I also have been told that getting an interview is not necessarily a good thing if anything its a bad thing.

So for me peeps just be patient I know it difficult but we've only a few weeks to go!!
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi Nero Hero!

That;s odd! Who did you speak to, i spoke to a mrs phillips, and she happily told me she could not disclose any actual results, but she could say he'd done well and therefore was being considered for an AP.

Obviously the final result comes out on 19th feb, whether or not he gets in with an AP is dependant on the interview. Whatever the outcome, I think we should all be very proud of our sons to get this far. Hereafter its alla bit of a lottery, how well can a 10/11 year interview or rather what can they actually ask them.

FTM
fm

Post by fm »

Some interviews have already taken place today.

Some 10-11 year olds interview very well, provided they are used to engaging in conversation with adults other than their parents.
nero hero

Post by nero hero »

firsttimermum wrote:Hi Nero Hero!

That;s odd! Who did you speak to, i spoke to a mrs phillips, and she happily told me she could not disclose any actual results, but she could say he'd done well and therefore was being considered for an AP.

FTM
Hey Firsttimermum,

yeah I'm sure it was her, she basically stated that my son wasn't on the scholarship list? make of that what you will! she naturally refused to offer anymore information, so I'm lost does that mean he's automatically made it and will get an AP or the dreaded he never made it... gulp :( I guess time will tell
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think they would interview for assisted places?
nero hero

Post by nero hero »

I guess you're right that only leaves two options, full fee paying or gulp.. :? saying that I may(fingers crossed) get a phone call this week :) lol I feel like the scarecrow in the wizard of OZ.

The wonderful world of education!!
wobeeb

Post by wobeeb »

Have now recieved a call from the school, interview date is next Tuesday.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi nero hero,

Hopefully that means he's got in anyway. Don't panic there's still time yet, she did tell me that they had just started phoning. EVERYONE who passed and who will be considered that is if you applied will be invited for an interview. Good luck!!

Wish us luck our interview is tomorow will let everyone know how it went etc..

FTM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now