KES - Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KE hopeful

Post by KE hopeful »

My DD found the exam quite easy as well. She was feeling very confident and started debating which she would choose if she received offers for Camp Hill and KEHS - I told her to wait and see first, and that I would be very happy to have that problem!

I discovered from her later on that she had finished the English paper with 15 minutes to spare, and proceeded to get her book out of her bag and start reading - the teacher subsequently told her that wasn't allowed!

I like the way they do the exams - you get split into groups with a teacher and then stay with the group for all breaks and lunch. I guess that gives the teacher a chance to get to know the children.

My DD told me there were 327 children taking the test. Does anyone know how many offers are made and how many places are available?

Off to collect DD from exam now ...
fm

Post by fm »

About 73 places.

They probably over offer, knowing many of their offers will be turned down. I have only ever had 2 pupils who picked KEHS over Camp Hill Girls etc., and one of these was awarded a 100% APS, making KEHS even cheaper than Camp Hill due to free uniform.

I actually think that observing the girls over the day is a much more suitable way of assessing them than the 10 minute interview the boys' school does.
Footballdad

Post by Footballdad »

Rachag

I am away from home at the moment. Yesterday i got one friend to drop her off and another one to pick her up. Today i have another friend who dropped her off in the morning and hopefully touch wood should be parking his car at the school as i type this message. God bless my mates. Wish the wife learnt to drive.

If you see an Asian man with a villa football top in the future hopefully at KE Camp Hill girls or KEHSG that will be me come and say hi.

I shall call my friend and hopefully chat to my madame to find out if she feels confident like she did yesterday.

Good luck to all children and hopefully happy news for all parents in the coming weeks
KenR

Post by KenR »

There are actually 78 place available, 3 classes x 26

They usually offer significantly more than 78 offers - circa 95+ due to a number of girls accepting KE grammar offers. They also make waiting list offers as well

I believe there was talk about having an extra form entry at some point - not sure how this is progressing.
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Think there are a larger number of smaller classes now
srk13

Post by srk13 »

My DD has similar views of the KEHS exam as footballdad's daughter. She could finished her exam with no question unattended. She says the Maths was very easy. Seems the papers this year followed the same pattern as last year.

She made good friends in her group and is delighted that its all over.
KE hopeful

Post by KE hopeful »

My DD didn't think today's exam was as easy - especially the English. She thought the Maths was slightly easier. Big relief it is all over! Fingers and toes all crossed now for results.
um

Post by um »

Apologies for going back a bit to the subject of KES interviews..

My son has his next week and I was wondering if he should take the full day off, or go to school and then be picked up after a few hours and taken there...
I know the school would prefer that as they are not happy with his attendance due to him getting knocked out with swine flu last term.
But from my own practical point of view I have a baby to feed in between all the to-ing and fro-ing.

What did the other interview-boy's parent's do? Should I ask for the full day off?

And does anyone know how many places are available at KES?
Footballdad

Post by Footballdad »

KE Hopefull interesting as my madame like yours stated the exam was a harder then yesterday. Suprisingly she found the english easier then the mathematics today. I was suprised by this as mathematics is by far her strongest subject.

Overall she stated Sutton Girls was the most easiest, followed by KEHSG and then King Edwards Grammar.

I believe she was told that there are approximate 350 children taking the test.
BrummyMummy

Post by BrummyMummy »

isymum wrote:Hi I called the school and spoke to the lady, she would not disclose any information. She did mention that we should be hearing some new some time this week or next. I aksed if they could give an indication of how my son has done, and she said no. Do you think I should call again?
I don't think it is very acceptable that KES is not treating parent enquiries consistently. If they are responding to some parents' phone calls in an informative way they should do the same for everyone. It may be that they just don't want to tell people over the phone that their son hasn't got a place, but if that is the case then they should tell everyone to wait for their letter. I am not impressed. I am waiting too, but haven't got the nerve to phone. :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now