Let The StReSs Begin.....!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
srk13

Post by srk13 »

Congratulations mm2 and her DD.

Postman came and got nothing from KEHS. Heard from a few more friends that they did not get the offer.

:( Not sure what that means. This weekend is soooooo stressful.
mm2

Post by mm2 »

srk13

keeping fingers crossed for you.
No new at the mo is good news.

mm2
Footballdad

Post by Footballdad »

The postman finally came and alas the answer is no.

I am suprised that i am not to bothered with the no answer even though i was stressed earlier on this week. Hopefully we will receive the news i want to hear on the 1st March
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Football Dad,

Sorry to hear your news but at least it sounds as if this was far from your first preference. Hope you get what you want on 1 March.
Footballdad

Post by Footballdad »

BB248

Cheers for the kind words. I applied for KEHS on the very last day was in 2 minds due to the following reason:

She was tutored for the King Edward Grammar tests but no prep for KEHS style test.
Also she is very strong on math's but not English. Which i find strange as she is a huge reader.

So my original plan was no but she had excelled at school this year and i thought i take the risk as it would not hurt. I was hoping she may do well and get an assisted place and have a back up but thats not the case. Could not afford a non assisted place.

My DD told my wife but not me that she did not think she did well in the test told me it was ok. Prob to put me at ease. So hence when she got the result today it did not knock her confidence.

Bring on 1st March. I know i will be a lot more stressed. The good news is on Feb28 i will be at Wembley watching the Villa win the Coca Cola Cup
BB248

Post by BB248 »

And I'll be cheering you & the Villans on!
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Just to add my congrats to all those who've had success with KEHS. srk13 if you hear nothing on Monday I'd ring the school. My d gained a place last year but no offer of bursary and I spoke to the secretary during the half term. Fingers crossed for all for 1st March
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

BB248 wrote:And I'll be cheering you & the Villans on!
hey ho BB .... what about us poor BCFC fans - weeze feeling left out!!!

Seriously though - good luck to all those waiting for the KEHS results and commiserations to those who have not had good news.

Apart from visiting about 2 years ago and nosing round the staff room and the head's study ... I really don't know that much about how it runs these days... But in the 70's it was great and the facilities look even better these days..

Went to supper there one evening 5 years ago and it was held in the "drama studio" ... couldn't work out where this was - the porter said "ah if you are puzzled then you must have been here a while ago - try looking for the gym..." Yes the gym and the dastardly showers had been turned into a splendid drama studio.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hey congrats !!! :D :D :D ..To everyone that got an offer, an for those that didn't hold on, 1st March is just around the corner.

To be honset I am a little surprised as most people I know didn't get an offer, apart from the two posters on here. I'm really stressing now........its gonna be a long week. Although we know he has passed, we want to know if he was awarded an AP/Schol. Can't afford it otherwise as DD is only a year younger, and putting two through is TOUGH!! At the same time aswell. I woukld be grateful if he got into any of the KE, but the thing is DS really has is heart set on KES. YES...we had have had the CHAT, about not being able to attend unless some sort of AP is offered.T hat is unless he doesn't get in anywhere else...you know what I'm thinking out aloud now...don't think I'm making much sense, so better head off to bed . DD turned 10 today, so had a full blown BDAY party with lots of kids SCREAMING...well I won't go there DD had fun so it must have been good.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

FTM
muminstress

Post by muminstress »

Having got the post with a short and to be honest – not very sweet no – from KEHS, I have really gone up and down in my feelings about the whole process. I have a bright girl who has an academic scholarship at Kings School Worcester. However having built up in her mind that she (and us) wanted her to go KEHS, it is a huge letdown (as any failure for your child is going to be). The hardest thing is not really knowing where she went wrong. It will not change the outcome, but I feel that a little bit of feedback would have helped soften the blow. So from our view, it has been a painful lesson. But one from which I feel I must take away a few things.
• Yes it is a great school in results, but I have felt that the lack of transparency in the process for admission has not helped our DD to give them her best impression.
• Also I have to keep in mind that though they get great results, they are one of many schools and it does not reflect poorly on the children who did not get in. To some extent, I feel that the process is such that they may have lost out on some excellent children. I know that many of you will read this and feel that it is sour grapes, but I feel that to a great extent it is for the better from our viewpoint that she did not get in.
• The whole process has been very made difficult by the simple fact that the school has not given any information about their expectations. I am not advocating that they issue past papers and such like, but they should put in place a way of talking to the children who apply and consider them as people, and not just look at what they can do on paper (as done by EHS whose Head interviews all applicants and their parents (we are still waiting to hear from EHS about our DD – hopefully Monday)). As an educator myself, I feel that the KEHS process is really not a true reflection of the potential of each child who applies to go there.
• At least with the Grammar Schools, they are clear what they want in terms of content, and they give you equal chance to learn and perform in these tests, as the children will have to when it comes to further exams in the future.
I did think and am still thinking about ringing for feedback, but not sure quite what I hope to gain from it. I wish you all well and good luck to all. Take away from this that your children, wherever they end up, are wonderful and will do well as they have great parents behind them.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now