Good news!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

That's fantastic!!
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Thankyou very much for all your kind wishes! It actually makes me really happy that so many of you have been part of this journey with me and little DS! Without which I don't think I could have managed to get through the tough time.

I feel very blessed it all ended happily, as I know what it feels like to be at the other end of the scale. What I have learnt is stay strong and persevere, it works out for the best. Don't give up on your dreams its always worth the extra effort!

Kind regards,

FTM
tranquillity

Post by tranquillity »

Hi FTM! You sound SOOOOOO happy!!! :D :D :D Yes, we're going to the concert, and am all excited about it!! One of important reasons DS chose KES was because he's musical and very ambitious and wants to get into the concert orchestra himself one day. :P

I agree wholeheartedly with you - never give up on your dreams for your child - they really can come true. We are both proof of that!! :lol:
rachag

Post by rachag »

Also going to concert!
Will look out for you :lol:
Pleased that DD at KEHS will have contact with boys through orchestra etc.
She will also be at breakfast because of bus and I believe they mix there too.
KenR

Post by KenR »

We went to the KES/KEHS Concert at Adrian Boult Hall last Sunday (DD plays in the orchestra)

They really are of a very high standard - one of the A2 girls at KEHS played Bruch's Violin Concerto - seriously good; and last year another girl played Grieg's Piano Concerto with the Orchestra. There are quite a few girls & boys who are in the National Youth Orchestra as well.

Competion to get into the Symphony Orchestra can be quite fierce depending on the instrument, but there are lots of other ensembles as well.

ps the Symphony Orchestra are playing Rossini's William Tell Overture in the concert
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Oooh sounds very interesting! We'll all have to have some sort of tags so we can recognise each other. What is the dress code and which seats are you going for??

Ftm
wtwh

Post by wtwh »

Good news for you but I am reminded that the awards process is clearly far more arbitrary than I understood at the time.

The only words of encouragement that I can offer anyone who didn't get a bursary is that it is affordable if you are prepared to make major sacrifices.

We accepted a ‘first round’ full fees place, on a combined income of 28K pa. which at times has proved stiff going. I later found that bursaries had been awarded to families on upwards of 40 thousand pounds a year and driving almost new cars, (which they presumably finance with the money that they save on the fees.)

As I say, it is do-able even on a low income but you need to steel yourself for the fact that on parents evening, in your rusty old jalopy and unfashionable clothes, you are the one that looks like the pauper.
fm

Post by fm »

Bursaries are awarded up to an income of £65+ so people can have bursaries, albeit small ones, and be relatively well off.

Also, you have the situation where parental income may be low but there is what I'd term 'family money' from other generations which may not be transparent to KES.

In the end, however, they award bursaries to whom they view as the cleverer children and whom they wish to attract. There is very limited element of fairness in the process. Perhaps KES should make it clear that a bursary will only be on offer if the child scores very well in the exam; after all, they want the child who is likely to improve their ratings in the exam league tables.

And schools' obsession with their league tables is directly driven by parental obsession with similar.
um

Post by um »

CONGRATULATIONS FTM!

Just saw the news now!

:D
ews147

Post by ews147 »

yes, well done to ftm and ds. :D

I agree with fm that your income is only a factor in being offered a bursary, the biggest factor being your child's score in the exam,( subject to report and interview.)ftm's son must have done extremely well first time round and just missed the original offer of bursaries. He would not have been offered a bursary,no matter how needy, if the school did not think he was 'very good value' for money.My limited experience would indicate that the bursary kids do indeed offer that 'something extra' (they are very well 'vetted'), so you should be incredibly proud ftm that ds has been selected. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now