Growing your own Cloze tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KenR

Re: Growing your own Cloze tests

Post by KenR »

Probably not a bad idea to create a cloze test from a comprehension passge that was actually used in one of the previous KE Durham CEM tests - below is the link to the full Easter Island passage taken from the discover magazine

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/24/042.html
shinealight

Post by shinealight »

Hello KenR

Thanks for this link :) . Should the words chosen vary in difficulty and should they be words that DS will not be familiar with in the cloze test? :?

Also what do you think about anagrams? I DF of mine game me a huge supply of various anagram tests. Would these be useful to help boost DS vocabulary and spelling ability which is what I'm assuming the cloze test assess? He is quite articulate and a very confident reader with sound understanding but his spellings could definitely improve.

Thanks
Shinealight
Always looking on the bright side of life..!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Take a look at some of the actual words uses for synomyms and antonyms in the actual KE tests on the Sticky on this site - many are quite tough for 11 year olds viz:-
antiquity, pigment, gregarious, evaluation, orthodontist, nurseryman, wound, inferior, content, subdued, clemency, debrief, precarious, vicarious, perplexed, apprehensive, physiotherapy, subterranean, conclusion, superfluous, polarity, nauseous, frivolous, altitude, trivial, emerge, pigment, covet, antiquity, tranquil, drought, passive, incision, bewildered, device
Regards

Ken
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

shinealight wrote:Any ideas on resources to use to practice types of questions that may appear in new format as using Athey and Bonds at moment?
It's easy to get hung up on whether you're doing the "right" tests; our son didn't, I think, do anything more "suitable" than Bond/Athey/GL but still passed, because it gave him a huge boost in confidence with maths (went up from middle to top group about this stage of the year) and because he reads about 23 hours a day. The key is to have a good vocabulary and be good at maths, how you get there doesn't much matter. CEM, as it happens, say that vocab can't be taught, it can only be absorbed - so I'd recommend plenty of word games if you've got time (I haven't! :( ).

Mike
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

KenR wrote:Probably not a bad idea to create a cloze test from a comprehension passge that was actually used in one of the previous KE Durham CEM tests - below is the link to the full Easter Island passage taken from the discover magazine

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/24/042.html
Thank you KENR.

I've had a crack at the first bit but quickly realized that I didn't really know what I was trying to test for :-/

Anyway, here's the first page - put up for comment (too easy) before I attempt the rest.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/890008/11P/CLOZ ... 200001.png

{EDIT 1}
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/890008/11P/CLOZ ... nd0001.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/890008/11P/CLOZ ... nd0002.png

--
Dibble
Last edited by Dibble on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Good general cloze and comprehension test to try at home

http://libsun.nuu.edu.tw/reader/file/95tsc_2.pdf
shinealight

Post by shinealight »

Thanks KenR, Mike and Dibble for all your suggestions. They are all gr8 :D and very reassuring. I've found Bonds and Athey very accessible being a first timer although Ds has been getting DIY from me since reception so is used to all that I give him with out complaining and yes like you Mike I've found that now he's getting quicker and better at looking for what is needed in the test, Ds's confidence is lot higher than five months ago as he's getting high scores.

But I'm still worried that the relax nature at home, although he's given a time limit, is a false sense of security. This is why DH and I have thought about FAST TRACk tuition in sept although I'm not very for it being an educationalist myself. :| !! as I think it pressurises the child and it's not what we want to do, from what I've seen and experienced of 11+ tutoring. DS is very keen himself to go to Grammar school and has really been left to manage himself with guidance and a structure of course. Is this a good idea or is it best to continue as we are? Half of us wants to see how he does without it as DS is doing ok we think so far, but with the changes and competition for places, whilst tutoring will not guarantee anything, we don't want him to be unprepared for anything new that he may not have covered at home. Also being only just 10 and few months when he does the test I understand there is some form of age weighting.. can anyone explain how this works?

I've just been looking at some new resources and found some reduced- GL- any idea if these are worth purchasing? and has one tried the BOFA online resources? Are they any good?

Thanks
Shinealight
shinealight

Post by shinealight »

thanks KenR

I'll definitely try to do something like this over the summer holidays!!!! I think once you;ve got the hang of what you're doing its a question of time and energy... :roll: but I'm sure it'll pay off in the end.. hopefully :|
Shinealight
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Shinealight

I know many people do use tutoring services but you do need to be careful; if the tutor doesn't use the correct material and just uses traditional NFER or Bond type papers then this isn't going to provide any advantage over what you can do at home on your own. We didn't use tutors for our 2 children.

I've seen some of the material advertised for BOFA and they claim their material prepares children for the Warwickshire CEM 11+ (and hence the B/ham exams) - however I have my doubts. The sample VR questions that where on their web site just seemed to be tradional NFER type questions.
shinealight

Post by shinealight »

Thanks for your advice KenR.

I think we will proabably just see DS through the test ourselves (myself.. :roll: ) as I don;t really trust the tuition scene (no offence to tutors :| just a personal view) as this way i know what DS is getting and doing, re tests, and can follow his progress. I know many of these online resources are money making kits, and probably work for those who are not sure of the exam, but I'd rather spend money on resources and do it at home although time can be a constraint :cry: therefore adding stress. But so far i think we are doing ok but i'm not complacent and dont let DS get like that either as there is always room for improvement as dont know what the level of competition is going to be nor what the test is going to be like.

Keep counting down the months now and just hoping the summer holiday wont go by too quickly, as it'll only leave about 8 weeks for prep when Ds enters yr6.. amongst other things that'll need doing... :roll:

Shinealight
Shinealight
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now