Musings on CEM tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dibble

Musings on CEM tests

Post by Dibble »

I noticed that the King Edward VI School, Stratford-upon-Avon gives quite some detail about its forthcoming CEM test.
http://www.kes-stratford.org.uk/admissi ... ssions.php

More than I've ever seen from a Birmingham school anyway - perhaps I'm just out-of-date? Is there somewhere I can find this for Birmingham schools? Apart from my inferring from KENR's very useful sticky post at the top of this group, of course.

AFAICT the above link is also fairly representative of the CEM tests as experienced in Birmingham? Including the relative time allotted to VR, NVR, CLOZE, comprehension, etc?

I guess time allotted may not relate to marks allotted? Perhaps as many marks can be gained in 10 minutes of CLOZE testing as in 20 Minutes of comprehension?
KenR

Re: Musings on CEM tests

Post by KenR »

If anyone is interested I can send a presentation I found by the Univ of Durham CEM on the MidYIS tests taken in year7. This seems very similar to CEM entrance tests.

The presentation actually includes a number of pages of real examples as well as a detailed analysis of the standardisation methodology. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send a PM.

Quick update - 1 or 2 of your have asked for a copy of the presentation by PM - I though you could send attachments via PM but I'm not sure the new site format allows you to do that. I'm working on a solution - please bear with me
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Is it this one?

http://www.midyisproject.org/Documents/ ... MidYIS.ppt

Dibble wrote:AFAICT the above link is also fairly representative of the CEM tests as experienced in Birmingham? Including the relative time allotted to VR, NVR, CLOZE, comprehension, etc?...I guess time allotted may not relate to marks allotted? Perhaps as many marks can be gained in 10 minutes of CLOZE testing as in 20 Minutes of comprehension?
It appears to me that there's about twice as much NVR in B'ham as Warks (and consequently only 10-15 mins syns/ants vs. 20 mins VR) - in Warks it's only 15% of the test, for a third of the marks! Some sections do indeed appear to offer a lot more "bang for buck" in terms of the time allocated.

Mike
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

KenR wrote:
Quick update - 1 or 2 of your have asked for a copy of the presentation by PM - I though you could send attachments via PM but I'm not sure the new site format allows you to do that. I'm working on a solution - please bear with me
PM it and I'll host it for you, if you want?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Yes the link that Mike has posted in the one
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

The Chances graphs show that, from almost any baseline score, students come up with almost any grade - - -there are just different probabilities for each grade depending on the baseline score.
:D So never give up hope. 8)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now