Registration for November 2010 test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Registration for November 2010 test

Post by DIY Mum »

mike1880 wrote:You have to put a lower case y in those, capital Y doesn't work.
Yes, you're right! :o Thank for that- it works!
um

Post by um »

Just out of interest, who exactly is administering the test this year?
You all may remember last Autumn when we found the BV test to be very poorly administered, (not by BV of course but by Local Education staff) but the KE test was done efficiently and compassionately. I don't have a child sitting this years' test but I am concerned as the way our son was treated at the BV test would have really thrown ds no.2 just before the exam.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Do you mean who's manning the test centres, invigilating, etc? I haven't a clue, I'm afraid. I imagine it will be KE people at KE sites and LEA people at LEA sites.

That's partly why I'm miffed that there's no way of stating a preference for a particular location this time, although I think problems are probably specific to certain sites - we didn't have any issues at Broadway a couple of years ago, it was all running very smoothly. There are a couple of factors that will reduce pressure of numbers a little this year, which hopefully will mean experiences like yours are less likely:

1) I'm sure there was a lot of overlap of people taking both exams in the past, so while there will be more people taking tests on the day than took the KE test in the past there will be fewer taking it at LEA sites than would have taken the BV/SC test in pevious years. If that makes sense.

2) The online registration site hasn't been published, except insofar as the address is still on KE sites as part of the out of date registration information that most of them have posted.

3) The paper form hasn't been sent out with transfer packs as the BV/SC form used to be. That means people will have to actively think about applying rather than making a last minute decision, filling in the form on the closing date and rushing to the LEA office to hand it in as some people did :oops: .

4) The cohort is a little smaller again this year (not that it made any difference last year).

Mike
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Well, registration for the KE Exam is done and dusted- I hope!

Unhappy with the online application, I did request the KE Foundation to pop an application in the post which I received promptly. I would have thought the addressee would be the KE Foundation Office but it was a PO Box instead. I hope it's alright. :|
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I did the online one, but to be on the safe side I rang the office to check that they'd got it. That sort of defeats the object but you can never be too careful :lol: . I'm now awaiting the confirmation letter(belt...check; braces...check; string... :oops: )

Mike
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

Yes, better to be safe than sorry. If I don't receive a confirmation after two weeks, I'll have to submit it online. By then, I should have worked out how to upload their photos. :?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Our confirmation has arrived today so I can chill! It says "The test will take place at...Camp Hill School for Girls". I hope that means it's really going to be our venue although it also says "details about the venue...will be posted to you during the autumn half term".

Another thing it says :shock: :

"Your child will sit two test papers...The first paper will cover Verbal Reasoning and Reading Comprehension topics and the second paper will test Numeric Reasoning and Non Verbal Reasoning". So...does that signal a fairly substantial change of format (if not necessarily content)? It sounds more like (but not quite exactly like) the Warwickshire format.

Mike
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

Dear Mike,

My papers also state the same.
mike1880 wrote:"Your child will sit two test papers...The first paper will cover Verbal Reasoning and Reading Comprehension topics and the second paper will test Numeric Reasoning and Non Verbal Reasoning".

But how will it be different? Do you mean that the comprehension paper maybe taken away as it was four years ago? Or just different versions of cloze?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Well, in previous years both papers have had a mix of everything - e.g. 2008/2009: synonyms/antonyms, maths and NVR in the first paper, then comprehension, cloze, and more maths and NVR in the second.

If this statement is accurate then this year all the verbal stuff (and only verbal stuff) will be in the first paper and all the numeric and NVR will be in the second.

That sounds to me as though it would be a little tougher on the child psychologically.

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now