style of questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DenDe

style of questions

Post by DenDe »

Hi, I'm new to the site so apologies if this question has been asked before.

My DS will be sitting the Birmingham 11 + in Nov and we have done a variety of practice tests but I don't actually know the style the Birmingham exam will take in terms of answering the questions. Will it be multi-choice or fill in the answer/circle the right letter? I don't want to practice the wrong style in the lead up to the exam and then throw him on the day!

Thanks all!
fm

Re: style of questions

Post by fm »

It is varied. If you go onto www.kingedwardthesixth.org/ske6-Sample Sheet - blank 2009.pdf , you will see some samples. They are nowhere near the complexity of the real thing but the format will not be so different.

The best advice I give children is expect the unexpected.

The best advice I can give parents is do a wide and varied preparation for this tests but do not expect to ever replicate what is in the test. Nor should you give your child the idea that it will be like this paper or that paper.

I believe the thinking behind the University of Durham exams is to select the child who has a) read a lot b) can work at speed with accuracy and c) can cope with being confronted with new and challenging stuff without losing the plot.

The best preparation you can give him is to confront him with material outside his comfort zone rather than papers in a set, predictable format.
DenDe

Re: style of questions

Post by DenDe »

Thanks fm,

I hadn't seen the sample questions before so that's a big help.

Are there any materials you (or anyone else) can recommend that would tackle the "outside the comfort zone" issue. My DS has a tendancy to panic when confronted with something he doesn't think he can do.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now