New KE Points Positioning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Elbart

New KE Points Positioning

Post by Elbart »

Hi All,

To assist with the LEA preference list, and not wasting a choice by order, I was pondering on the positioning of the KEGS Consortium points pass mark ranking now that we have Bishop Vesey and Sutton Girls in the frame too. This is what I think on the likely positioning (-with the availabilty of previous years ranking taken into account):

KE CAMP HILL BOYS
KE FIVE WAYS
KE CAMP HILL GIRLS
KE ASTON
KE HANDSWORTH GIRLS
SUTTON GIRLS
BISHOP VESEY

I have placed SG and BV lowest due to the exam being new to them and logically likely to have the lowest pass marks. Anybody think otherwise ?

Thanks Elbart

ps. of course, I could be totally wrong and the ranking could be totally skewed for 2011 entry !!!!!
mike1880

Re: New KE Points Positioning

Post by mike1880 »

Score for CHG has been lower than KEA for 4 of the last 6 years.

It's largely guesswork where SC and BV will end up; I would imagine there will be fewer applications this year but those that do apply will be more serious about them. Last time we went over this fm pointed out how large these schools are, on reflection I agree with her that will reduce their pass marks compared to the smaller KE schools (although I still think their location will mitgate that slightly). My guess - putting random numbers to it to give a pure guess the spurious air of precision and authority :D - would be something like:

CHB 353
5W 335
Aston 331
CHG 329
BV 327
SCGSG 324
KEH 320

Mike
fm

Post by fm »

I think this is going to be quite difficult to second guess.

I think Sutton parents/tutors and therefore children will be caught on the hop by the new format of the exam. Even some Birmingham tutors have taken years to wise up to our new exam which incidentally is now 6 years old.

Therefore I would initially see girls from Sutton generally scoring lower in the consortium exam due to being less well prepared.

I think, for the first year at least, it will have a lower score than Handsworth Girls, and possibly thereafter.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It's entirely possible; it will be interesting to see how it pans out on March 1st.

Extending the discussion slightly, purely out of curiosity, what sort of score does it takes to get into QM and QMH?

Mike
fm

Post by fm »

I can only speculate on QM.

I have had a child pass for Five Ways (and possibly had the Camp Hill score) who failed QM and one who scored quite low down but then neither may have treated the exam with the respect it deserved. Remember Birmingham boys will often be doing this as the backup of their backup of their backup, and may be quite exhausted with it all by the time they get round to doing Queen Mary's

Of the top of my head, however, I suspect it would fit neatly in between Five Ways and Camp Hill.
c'estlavie

Post by c'estlavie »

First ever post! I found this site just as my son was sitting 11+ last October time. He sat for BV, KE, and QM. BV was first choice but he missed the past mark by 3/4 marks which in real terms is probably hundreds? of places. However he passed comfortably for QM (2nd choice) and also for KE 3rd choice. I emailed KE office out of curiosity to see whether he had passed as he was surprised that he passed QM and not BV. In fact he found the BV 'easy'! Having read various posts on this brilliant site it seems that BV is traditionally perceived as the easier exam so his results go against the grain so to speak. Maybe he needed time to warm up. QM is a December exam.
fm

Post by fm »

B.V. is definitely an easier exam but, because it is easier, there is no room for carelessness. You have to score highly to pass and children could and were trained up to gain high end scores. My bottom maths score was usually 44/50 for my successful candidates.

KE and QM are now University of Durham. This has an element of quick processing which was not involved at all in the BV exam so the quick thinkers gain rewards over the slow but precise. It is not just a matter of being able to do the questions more quickly than others but also identify what needs to be done more quickly, especially in the non-verbal which is likely to be quite unfamiliar to them.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Just to throw another variable into the pot; Miss 1880 has come home with the transfer pack today. As I suspected might be the case, it doesn't contain an application form for the GS test and it still doesn't mention the address for online entry either. Anyone who wants to enter is going to have to be that little bit more proactive than in previous years. I wonder what that will do for numbers applying, both overall and especially for the Sutton grammars (the form for those used to be sent out with the pack)?

Mike
mad?

Post by mad? »

mike1880 wrote:Score for CHG has been lower than KEA for 4 of the last 6 years.

It's largely guesswork where SC and BV will end up; I would imagine there will be fewer applications this year but those that do apply will be more serious about them. Last time we went over this fm pointed out how large these schools are, on reflection I agree with her that will reduce their pass marks compared to the smaller KE schools (although I still think their location will mitgate that slightly). My guess - putting random numbers to it to give a pure guess the spurious air of precision and authority :D - would be something like:

CHB 353
5W 335
Aston 331
CHG 329
BV 327
SCGSG 324
KEH 320

Mike
Mike, canyou run a book on this? Should enliven the summer forum months a bit? :lol:
mad?
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Thanks all.

I guess you really do have to put the put the school you want at the top of your list eventhough it may be a waste to put higher points school below, but you never know.

Elbart