Reading Age

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
brummum

Reading Age

Post by brummum »

Hi

How do you find out a child's reading age? Are there any on-line tests?

My son's school doesn't seem very helpful, he's been at 5B Maths, 5B Literacy, 5 Reading, since end of year 5, now all of a sudden he tells me he is level 3 reading.

I think he must be mistaken - surely he hasn't lost the ability to read :!:

Thanks
fm

Re: Reading Age

Post by fm »

There are different varieties of reading tests, all of which would yield different results,none of which would be directly linked to a Sats Reading Paper which tests a specific form of reading ability. Google 'Daniel Diack' or Schonell Reading Test' and you are likely to find two different kinds of reading tests, the first being more of a vocabulary test and the second being about the ability to sight read words. While they may have some link with reading ability, they will not really give a good indication of comprehension level.
brummum

Post by brummum »

Thanks

I know that he can read well, I just happened to read on another thread that a child needs to be a couple of years ahead of their reading age to do well at the 11+ exam.

He's recently read (and understood) books such as Stig of the Dump, Emil and the Detectives, The Indian in the Cupboard Series and The Iron Man at home, but he hates the comic-style reading books that the school reading scheme uses - a big illustration with speech bubbles usually - and a few lines of text underneath
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

you could ask at school about his reading age and maybe discuss his reading level in the scheme, although i know from bitter experience that some schools are very rigid about the scheme..my daughter in year 2 was reading Matilda at home and oxford reading tree stage 6 at school..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now