Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: TIME ZONE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:43 pm 

I would like to ask the following question to tutors or parents whose children have already sat the 11+ test in Birmingham.

In maths, if a questions comes up about the time zones, is there a map indicating for example Japan is GMT + 9hrs (like in the Bonds books), or is it expected that the child should know by heart all the time zones?

Sorry if my question seems stupid. I don’t want my DS to miss easy points but at the same times, to learn all the time zones by heart is a lot of work! :cry:

Post subject: Re: TIME ZONE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:58 pm 

Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas
No, I doubt it and hope not....what a waste of time!! :shock:

The impression we gained of the KE exam is that all the relevant information to solve a problem is given (sometimes too much- as to confuse the child). What is required is that the child should be able to read between the lines, i.e. analyse data accurately and problem solve etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:58 pm 

Urghh do any adults know the time zones??

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:13 pm 

i don;t know, but I would imagine that the point of such a question would be that the child can apply data

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:40 am 

Thank you for all your anwers! We'll leave these GMT + x alone then! Phewwwwww! :D
They were in the 'lesson part' in the AE tuition book 4, but may be these lessons are strectching the children too far?
On the other hand, I do find 'Bond How to do 11+ maths' a bit too basic... :(
What are your comments or advice concerning my feelings about these two books? Do you recommand some others which are more at the expected level (not too basic and not too high?) :?:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:37 am 

Rather than the Bond how to do 11+ just use the Bond papers as they get harder each year. Depending on your region either Book 4 or 5 will suffice. In Essex I recommend more 5th for the upper end.

The books do not have lessons but you will easily see the areas of maths that are causing problems and you can use the question in the book as a teaching tool.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:08 pm 

Thanks, moved. This is what we are doing: some test in the Bond papers, see what the weaknesses are and trying to work on these particular topics... the exam being in one year for my DS, I just feel at the beginning of a long long tunnel!

Good luck for all the ones sitting their exams in just a few days!!