KES Exam Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fm

Re: KES Exam Results

Post by fm »

They are now beginning to call potential bursary winners for interview sp I suspect that is it for scholarships.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Ds had interview with warwick's head as well as the English and maths teachers. Questions of a random nature but linked to these subjects as well as science.

It went well according to ds, don't know if this is a sanity check or not before awarding reduced fees. Fingers crossed.

Door closed as far as kes is concerned. Maths was hard exam this year, seems they base their awards on maths largely.
fm

Post by fm »

no_ball wrote:Ds had interview with warwick's head as well as the English and maths teachers. Questions of a random nature but linked to these subjects as well as science.

It went well according to ds, don't know if this is a sanity check or not before awarding reduced fees. Fingers crossed.

Door closed as far as kes is concerned. Maths was hard exam this year, seems they base their awards on maths largely.
Well, the door may be closed to scholarship but I doubt it will be to offer of a place.

Not sure you are totally right about KES being mainly interested in maths. My call backs have largely been good all rounders, with one being a little weak in maths, whereas a couple of my best mathematicians who did manage answers to the difficult questions at the end have not had the call. I have a feeling that a lot of the well prepared boys might manage the harder maths so they then use the quality of the essay and possibly the VR as tie-breakers.
narshad1

Post by narshad1 »

Yes it is very odd this KES one, has left me with strange taste in the mouth. My DS was not overly prepared for these exams, light tutoring over the past year. On the downside he does not really have anyone stronger in his class to compete with, hence the extra coaching at home.

I am sure he will get an offer from KES, and KES came 42nd in the overall indies GCSE results for last year compared with in the 70's for Warwick. Solihull and King Henry 8 (coventry) came much lower. Difficult choices ahead for us.

Warwick offers so much, I suppose it is down to the individual about balancing studies and the other stuff at home together with parental support to get ahead. Thanks for the advice as always.
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

fm wrote:They are now beginning to call potential bursary winners for interview sp I suspect that is it for scholarships.
They’re offering interview dates up until next Friday though I don’t know how long it takes them to call everyone.

It’s just occurred to me that I don’t know anyone called to a bursary interview who wasn’t then awarded one.
Of course it must happen, any idea how often?
Last edited by Dibble on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

fm wrote:
Not sure you are totally right about KES being mainly interested in maths. My call backs have largely been good all rounders, with one being a little weak in maths, whereas a couple of my best mathematicians who did manage answers to the difficult questions at the end have not had the call. I have a feeling that a lot of the well prepared boys might manage the harder maths so they then use the quality of the essay and possibly the VR as tie-breakers.
If their ultimate aim is to get students through the IB to the highest level they certainly should be selecting for all-rounders.

If I can offer one data point? My lad is called to a bursary interview, answered (he recalls) only two questions in the final maths section, his essay’s are usually impressive, NVR good but workmanlike, VR rather better.
fm

Post by fm »

Sounds very similar to my pupil who is up for bursary.

I am afraid it is not a foregone conclusion that they will get one if they are interviewed. I know this from a few examples last year. What they tend to do is make definite offers to some, then put others on the bursary waiting list and you just have to hang on, hoping others will eventually drop out and take KE offers.
thelight

Post by thelight »

hi

so has anyone heard from KES? i am getting worried as i have not had a call does that mean that maybe my DS will not be offered a place?

we were hoping for bursary or fee assisted.
um

Post by um »

My ds1 went for an Assisted Place interview last year.
We were actually pleasantly surprised to be invited, as although his Maths is strong, his English isn't spectacular. After a few weeks we got a letter to say he had not been awarded the assisted place. We obviously felt disappointed, but then the next day we received a telephone call to say they may still offer him an assisted place, so to wait on :? . Not long after that, we received the news that ds1 had got into KECH. I then decided to take up KECH's offer of going to look around the school once more, and went with ds1. The Head personally took us round and talked to us. I then made an instinctive decision (that I don't regret) to simply go to CH, and signed their form and sent off the form declining the place to KES the same day. The assisted place would not have been free anyway but would have meant still paying towards the cost.
However if any of my other ds's (I have 4) had a chance of a scholarship at KES I would still jump at it! I'll start tutoring the 18 month old now...only joking :lol: But right now I am keeping some money in the pot for dd who may not even get into a Grammar :roll:
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I agree, watching that excellent posh pusher programme has reinforced my belief that public is the way to go in this competitive world of ours. Assuming one can afford it of course. We have just the one DC so are fortunate in that respect. If DS passes one of his 3 scholarship tests then it is a welcome reduction. On a personal level my brain says kes or Warwick over grammar (for now at least).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now