KES Versus Warwick School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

Re: KES Versus Warwick School

Post by JaneEyre »

Thanks fm, Mike and Dibble for all the info you gave. I really have a clearer picture now!! :D
John's MumSol

Post by John's MumSol »

I have been following this chain with interest as we will be considering both KES and Warwick for our DS next year. Have the KES offers come out yet? I don't want to pry but I was wondering if no_ball and mu-ths's DS's received offers from KES and scholarships and if so if you have decided to go for KES or Warwick yet - although I suppose you still have a few weeks to decide.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

KES letters is out tomorrow. DS has scholarship for some schools, we are not too influenced by that though. DS is our only child and we only work for his education.
For every positive story I hear about KES there is a negative one; it is only right to ask around as a day spent at the school. My OH is falling in love with Warwick; I am waiting for the grammars as this will only confuse matters even worse....Oh god what to do!

I have never sat comfortable with IB although chances of gaining entry into the top universities are increased when applying from an indie...and who knows how much worse our system will get in 7-8 years time.
My brain says KECH, my heart says Warwick.
um

Post by um »

I wouldn't agree that the chances of a top university place are increased by entering from an Indie. The chances very much depend on your academic achievements. These obviously tend to be much higher in Indies than most state schools...hence the correlation here.

If anything, Oxbridge are increasing the % of students they aim to recruit from the state sector.

The Grammars don't really fall into the normal state school category, as we know - their results look nothing like most Birmingham state schools.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Indeed, it boils down to doing one owns data research and making decisions based on the facts. The balance between this and an enjoyable time at school is also important.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi No_Ball

Best of luck for the KES results

If you are are successful but concerned about the IB route then there is the middle way - go to KES but switch to a 6th form college of one the KE Grammar 6th forms for A Levels. One of our friends is doing this this year with their son at KES. He hope to switch to KEFW. (For info KEFW have a big 6th form, circa 400, so they do have a significant number of places available.)

I think increasingly there will be a number of KES parents who follow this route, particularly those following the Medicine or Science Career route.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Thanks KenR. He has been offered a place at kes. Well done to others too.

He has reduced fees offer at Warwick, STD place at led and still kech and others due in 2 weeks. He has a science mind rather than arts. It's a shame kes has jumped ship and gone down IB route. It is largely the unknown and what disadvantage our dc may face at 18.

There are tough choices to be made. A scholar at Warwick till gcse and then into king Edward foundation for a levels...if only I had a crystal ball.
mus-ths

Post by mus-ths »

I have been following this chain with interest as we will be considering both KES and Warwick for our DS next year. Have the KES offers come out yet? I don't want to pry but I was wondering if no_ball and mu-ths's DS's received offers from KES and scholarships and if so if you have decided to go for KES or Warwick yet - although I suppose you still have a few weeks to decide.
Got scholarship offer this morning at KES. Its a very good offer but DS still really set on Warwick which we think is probably the best place for him. It is hard though to turn down a place at KES. Will let you know which way we will go. Financially the same amount to pay at both places so this is not going to be a factor. :D
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

IB does not and has not sat comfortably with me for the past 2 years. I think the choice is now down to Warwick or camp hill (if he passes). Latest thoughts are to turn down KES for now. Warwick is a classy school, fantastic facilities and mud ranking in the tables. Things get more messy around 1st march with grammars. My ds was interviewed by headmaster at Warwick, said his room was like dumeldoor's office at hogwarts!!
mus-ths

Post by mus-ths »

Good luck with Camp Hill, we did not sit the grammars as wasn't on our option list but have heard that the all round education is fab so if that is the route you decide to go I don't think you can go far wrong! :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now