KES :Exam timing.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

KES :Exam timing.

Post by Guest »

I know there has been some threads on this topic but I would like some clarification if possible from any of the parents whose children completed the KES exams in Nov 06. Was the timing of the exam similar to what KE Mum's daughter explained below? ( 4 KE Mum: yr daughter does have a fantastic memory!)

I know I maybe asking a lot but I would like to do some timed work with my son.
Many thanks.

Previous quote from KE Mum:
My daughter explained:

10 mins proof reading
10 mins word recognition with definitions
25 mins maths and verbal reasoning

15 mins break

10 mins non verbal
20 minutes maths
15 answering questions on proof reading and finding the meaning of made up words.
jah

Post by jah »

I wouldn't worry about doing timed tests to exactly the same specification as last year's exam. The format could be different this year, and too much testing to one format could upset your son if the format is different.

Tell your son to expect the unexpected and whatever, activities you have, time them. This could be doing a regular word search from a newspaper, or a crossword. Maybe times tables tests. As well as Nfer and Bond papers.

Get the idea across that there is a limited amount of time. But in the end, the important thing is that the answers should be right. You are aiming to get your son to work as quickly as possible without guessing.

The only other thing to really hammer home, is that he must follow the instructions.