Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:05 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:31 pm
Posts: 1
Now that all the results are in I pressume, I was wondering when will parents of the children who have done fantastic and gained entry into numerous schools, let the school they have chosen know their decision to accept the place offered and decline the other school places offered their DC. There will still be many worried parents who's DC are on "waiting lists" for the choice of their first school. I think it would be helpful to those parents if acceptance or rejection letters could be sent as soon as possible and not left to the deadline dates....

What's peoples thoughts :?: :?: :?:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 659
We have always been very clear in our minds about what we wanted for our son. It was always going to be between two schools, assuming he got places in both.

We did the fewest number of exams we could - we simply felt that some schools would not be realistic considerations due to distance and other factors, so we did not do those exams.

There are children we know of who have done numerous exams - for virtually every school in the Midlands (Indie and others) and they are sitting on a pile of offers, despite knowing some of those schools are not what they want.

The day I received the call from KES (about a Scholarship interview) was the day I sent off the rejection slip for Solihull as it was a back up for the other 2 schools. There's a boy I know who would have dearly loved that place (sadly he did not get in), and if I could have given it to him I would have. Of course, it's not up to me, it's up to the school to reallocate but my point is that I could imagine the anxiety him and his family and I wanted it to go "back in the pot" as soon as possible for someone else to take up. It is a bit selfish to hold on to places when others are desperately wanting them.

Now we are fortunate enough to be able to choose between our two dream schools and we will decide after our visit to one of them later this week (couldn't get there any sooner). Then we will send off the relevant slips and have it all done and dusted so they can reallocate the places next week.

They are my thoughts, I feel for the ones still waiting...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:49 am 
Yes, we also released GS places for DS and DD as soon as we could. It is only fair to do this, both for other people's DCs and for the school you are turning down, so they know where they stand.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:17 pm
Posts: 5
Simply choose Camp Hill because you get the correct balance between stuck-up, arrogant, posh kids, and genuine clever hard-workers who have ordinary backgrounds. You can judge the school on league tables but in reality, the headmaster is quality and does not impose option blocks for GCSE and does not kick people out after year 12 if their results are poor in the AS exams.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 659
john_smith wrote:
Simply choose Camp Hill because you get the correct balance between stuck-up, arrogant, posh kids, and genuine clever hard-workers who have ordinary backgrounds. You can judge the school on league tables but in reality, the headmaster is quality and does not impose option blocks for GCSE and does not kick people out after year 12 if their results are poor in the AS exams.



Glad to know the Yr10 students at CH think so highly of their Headmaster. It's interesting having a student on here. Thanks for explaining the dip in the results for last year, but why where the AS results poor in the first place? Are they not motivated to learn or is there another reason?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:36 pm
Posts: 48
Location: Birmingham
Hi All

Congratulations to all parents of DC who got into their 1st choice or any other preference school and well done to the children on getting through the exam process as I know it hasn't been easy. :(

My DS got his 2nd choice of QM Walsall which we are happy with and will accept as he missed out on KECH our 1st choice. I have phone KE admissions office today and been told to e-mail for info re his test score and position in waiting list. Could someone please let me know, as this is our 1st time.. having accepted place at QM Walsall, what the procedure is for being on a waiting list for any of the KE Consortium GS? I know that positions will change as places become available and places are held until December, but what if he is offered a place before Sept? Do we simply let QM know that we no longer need the place and accept the place at KECHB? :? We are of the view, if DS is lucky enough to be offered a place now or even during the Autumn term, we would welcome the opportunity for him to attend his 1st choice.

I'd be grateful of any useful advise please. :idea:

_________________
Shinealight
Always looking on the bright side of life..!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:08 pm
Posts: 712
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas
Dear Shinealight,

Congratulations on gaining QM- it is a fantastic school! :D

I am really sorry to hear that your DS didn't gain his first choice of CH. Mine didn't either - and initially he was upset about it because he wanted to be with DS1.

The way I understand the system is that for each point (away from the pass mark), there are roughly about 5-8 children on the waiting list.

When I phoned the Foundation, they said that they over offered (as usual). So probably sent 115-120 offers for the 93 places. Some will go for indi's or other options but your DS will only stand a chance of gaining admission this year if he is a mark away or very high up on the waiting list (1-10).

You'll have a better understanding of his true position after 16th March.

I know in my situation, I shall happily accept his second choice- Aston. DS2 loves football and regularly trains in a team. DS1 has been filling him in about how Aston is the only KE school that offers football training and can't wait until KECH attains their football pitch in a couple of years.

With all your support, he will shine in any school he attends! :wink:



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 659
I know at least 3 boys planning on turning down their CHB offers (from one school), maybe more, so there is hope....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:36 pm
Posts: 48
Location: Birmingham
Thanks DIY Mum & moseleymum for your words of support and encouragement... :)

I understand that I may be able to get some information about his test score from the LA so will call today and enquire as well as wait to hear from KE admissions about his position on the waiting list etc. :!:

However we are all happy with QM and DS re-aquainted himself with why he put it as second choice by browsing the website yesterday as initially he was concerned because a couple of his friends gained places at KE Aston which was our 3rd choice, but their 1st. He was very exicted about the prospects of exchange visits, sports, army cadets etc.. :D The only issue now is to organise transport from Sutton as the Green Bus only operate from Handsworth and with the 377 service discontinued since Feb from Sutton, I will probably need to leave early for a car journey in order to start work on time in Sutton :| Although DH has said he will do the school run, with DD in yr 6 next year it will definitely be a juggling act... :roll:

We knew this would be the case if he gained a place at CH anyway but there was comfort in knowing there was a couple of Green Bus routes he could take from where were live. Still this is only a minor issue in the whole scheme of things as its the next 7 years we are investing in and a little scarifice with travelling arrangements, we hope will pay off.. :)


Maybe he'll find a travel partner and we could car share or something.... :lol:

_________________
Shinealight
Always looking on the bright side of life..!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:33 am
Posts: 125
Location: Sutton Coldfield
Shinealight

My DS2 is convinced that QM will be his first choice currently, so if he is fortunate to gain a place in 2012 (- DS1 managed it this year, but he had KE Aston as a higher preference), seems that the journey is going to be more difficult now with the 377 being
withdrawn - maybe car sharing is a good option. We shall have to wait and see.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016