Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:14 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 67
Hello

My DS is 7th on the waiting list for KE Aston with a score of 217 - equal to the last admitted boy's score - but lost out on distance.

According to the LEA, Aston's PAN is 104, with 16 over PAN.

So, how does that work? Does Aston send out 120 offers and hope 16 are declined?

Or is the waiting list made up of the extra 16?

Do you think my DS has a realistic chance of a place?

Should I ask for the paper to be re-marked in the hope that an extra point can be found, or is that too much of a gamble (he might lose a point instead :!: )

DS was quite happy with his 1st choice comp yesterday - but we don't know whether to keep up the hope of a place a GS.

Any help pls?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:07 pm 
Kenr is more the expert on this area but I think I know how it works.

They will have offered 120, knowing quite a few will be declined. I personally know of two boys from my local primary who are going to KES instead of Aston. They will only start on the waiting list when they have had 16 places declined.

A few years ago I did have a pupil 5th on the waiting list who was offered a place in June. I would say your boy stands some chance of it but would not necessarily keep him informed of any movement or even tell him there is a chance. Let him think he is going to his comprehensive. It'll be time enough to say otherwise if he is lucky enough to eventually secure a place.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:12 pm
Posts: 1301
Location: Birmingham
Hi Brummum

fm is correct they will only start on the waiting list when they have had 16 places declined.

Hard to say whether you son has a realistic chance, you can only find out what happened in previous years but even then the situation can chnage from year to year.

Best to talk to the KE Foundation admissions office if you can - now that the rush has died down a bit they will probably be able to explain what has happened in previous years. Ask them for examples of how many over PAN KE Aston offered in previous year and how many from the waiting list got pleaces - that will give you an idea.

There not much movement with the waiting list till about the 21st March I think when offers have to accepted - after that you should things change.

If you want an example, we had this with Lottie a few years ago who child was about number 4 on the list for KE Handsworth Girls - she eventually got in in May.

The school will manage the process themselves whilst they are within PAN, after they get place declined beyond that they will have to go back to the KE Foundation and request another name from the list.

One thing you will have to decide is how long to wait - most school arrange some sort of induction in June/July and so parents often decide not to prolong the wait beyond that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 67
Thanks KenR and fm

I'll try the Foundation office and get some info from them, but like you say Ken, once the induction day has taken place - both at the GS and the comp, then a line has to be drawn I think.

We were pleased with the comp he was offered, so I'll think I'll play the waiting list place down a bit with my DS, whilst keeping my eye on it, of course :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:50 am 
Quote:
once the induction day has taken place - both at the GS and the comp, then a line has to be drawn I think.


I don't actually agree on this. Yes, I'd send him along to the other school's induction day and even buy the uniform but I wouldn't take the tags off. If you get the call in July or August, it is simple enough to ask your lad if he'd like to swap. I suspect he'd actually bite your hand off to swap but I may be wrong.

The important thing is not to raise his hopes at this stage that he may get in off the waiting list, but I can see no harm in your keeping a watching brief on the situation until the end of August.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 12:06 pm
Posts: 2094
Location: Birmingham
I agree with fm to be honest - if that is the school I'd prefer, then I'd be prepared to accept it even after Induction Day.
After all, I can't even remember my secondary induction day, or if I had one - it's not that important. Some children may miss induction day due to illness/holidays etc and they still integrate perfectly well at the school afterwards. Children are usually more adaptable to changes of plan than we are, too!

I'd heard of a case once at CH Boys; on the first day of term, one child didn't turn up. It transpired following phone calls that he'd moved to another area and the parents had not told the school. The first on the waiting list (at that time) was then phoned. His parents went to get him from his school (it was his first day), took him to the uniform shop, got him the uniform and he was at Camp Hill by lunchtime!

Would I do the same? Certainly :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: imranb and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016