Who's IN and where are they Going

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jah

Post by jah »

Sayed

You don't say where your sister is on the waiting list. Presumably, if she got more than the mark of the last girl admitted, she must be at the top!!

The important thing to realise is that the waiting lists are cleared at the beginning of the autumn term. So you need to write in and tell them that you want your sister to stay on the waiting lists. Then, when a place comes up, they invite everyone on the waiting list in to do another test, and offer the place on the basis of the result in that test.

We might be doing this as it would be nice if Year 6 daughter were to follow Year 10 daughter to KE Handsworth. However, year 6 has got her second choice, which she also likes very much and has the advantage of being 5 mins walk from home.
:D
Sayed

Post by Sayed »

Again thank you Jed and solimum.
Guest, your replies have aided my understanding of an appeal panel – it’s good to have someone criticise this case, therefore more prepared to counter the put forward arguments by an appeal panel.

Guest – unfortunately no-one attended the school open days and I just happened to find out about the school 11+ examination 2 weeks before the application deadline. I only discovered this forum after my sister’s school preference replies from the LEA and schools, just after the 2nd of march. My sister’s primary school were useless in all respects and have always been useless even when I was a pupil there.
I actually haven’t had time reading anything and just went by the face value of the form when I filled it in last year and had no extra reading around this or speaking to her tutors.

What substantial evidence…she passed the examination and will be academically disadvantaged going to the local comp. I went to a different, albeit worse comprehensive school…why did I get through you may ask? Let me give you concise account of why, apologies if this does seem aggressive but it’s a matter of fact.

Well I worked hard at home and had little support from the teachers especially from year 7-11. Those 5 years were truly shocking involving a mix of a stabbing, numerous fights, and many racist incidents in school which teacher did nothing and even more worrying, my house got stoned after 9/11 (the police were called)! Fine example of our state school system simulating our young minds… :roll:

In year 12, when it was time for my uni school application they (my secondary school) messed up my application resulting in having to take a gap year. I spent my gap year having to further expand my medical experience which was already in excess by working in a nursing home, et cetera while working nearly full time. I wrote my ucas statement myself and thank G-d got in.
Rawlett has a small problem with drugs and slowly slipping down the league tables; as I have said in a previous post that my sister’s friends with older sister’s in Rawlett have had to take time off school due to bullying. Not exactly an academically stimulating environment.

I’m not expecting any ounce of sympathy, but my account highlights the deficiencies which I do not want my sister to experience.

Education is competitive but mother and father weren’t planning the system to screw over a bright gifted children that has consistently proven herself academically (passing her 11+ and high SATs results in previous years), musically, socially and in sport.

On the contrary, ‘discrimination’ [B}will not[/B] be the sole case for gaining a place for my sister.
Anonymous wrote:Yes, agree, but try explaining to the parent of a child who did every thing by book and has to loose to this appeal on the basis of a mistake? If you were the parent in this situation, I think you would less understanding. As I said, the competition is high and unfortunately, you have to know the rules, ignorance is not a basis for an appeal.
Sorry, this doesn’t make any sense. Would that not be my sister’s appeal as everything was done by the book but simple error was made in the order preference?
My mistake will cost my sister a good education? That sounds similar to, well if you’re a child from a deprived neighbourhood, it’s your parents fault and the child should be written off by society…

I assumed every appeal was taken by its own merits, though this issue is nothing to do with “expected” performance (if she had missed the pass boundary); I’ve asked some elders myself with a resounding theme that it’s the panel trying to find any excuse not to give a place.

Congrats Jah, glad the second daughter is happy with choice 2.
Sayed

Post by Sayed »

Just read it again, does sound like a long rant. Apologies, had a long day with 4 blindingly difficult lectures on cardiomyopathies with an excentric cardiologist with the usual di ckie-bow plus lack of sleep all this week. Got a nice mock CVS exam next week and should recieve easter exam results. If any kids a reading this, it doesnt end!
Hope everyone is having a fine day :D
Again thanks for everyones replies.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi all,

Just a few points.

Jah, Sayed's sister presumably won't be on any waiting list because although she passed the exam she put the School down in the wrong oder of preference.

Sayed, It may be worthwhile reading some of the other postings in the Birmingham forum about the closure of the waiting list. This is closed sometime in Sept but then a new list is created for vacancies that arise through natural means (families relocating etc).

This list can include children other than those who entered the exam orginally, maybe because they have recently moved into the area. In this case they take a further exam in either January or March, but in the case of a child who has already taken an exam and passed this would be required.

What I guess I'm saying is why don't you arrange a meeting with the head and assess whether they would consider you sister for a late transfer when the original LEA preference criteria no longer applies?

However, as I mentioned before, if you are still thinking about Camp Hill Girls you need to give some serious thought about transport logistics. How did your sister intend to travel to Camp Hill Girls from Tamworth? Is someone going to drive her? The Head has a big say in ad-hoc transfers and might just think that it's not fair on the child to be faced with that sort of journey.

That's why I suggested KE Handsworth Girls, excellent school, lost of girls already travelling there from the Tamworth area and as it wasn't orginally your top KE choice presumably no past 'baggage' to worry about. the pass mak for KE handsworth is actually lower than Camp Hill so no problems demonstating appropriate ability.

Think about trying to get a meeting with head with your sister, also see if you can find out who goes there from you immediate area.

Hope this helps
jah

Post by jah »

Point I was making is that it is a new waiting list from September. Sayed needs to make sure his sister is on the new list.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sayed wrote:Just read it again, does sound like a long rant. Apologies, had a long day with 4 blindingly difficult lectures on cardiomyopathies with an excentric cardiologist with the usual di ckie-bow plus lack of sleep all this week. Got a nice mock CVS exam next week and should recieve easter exam results. If any kids a reading this, it doesnt end!
Hope everyone is having a fine day :D
Again thanks for everyones replies.
Hi

Glad to hear that the eccentrics are still around :D ...... remember a chap trying to get us to shake a glass tube with water and bubble in it to try and reproduce the feeling of "water hammer pulse" - aaargh - just send them for an echo - sure way of finding out about the aortic regurg.

Anyway enough of that - hope the school appeals etc pan out OK.

Herman
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now