Secondary School worries

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DenDe

Re: Secondary School worries

Post by DenDe »

Yes,

They'll be on the same bus and although they have vowed not to sit next to each other I imagine it will be comforting for them to know the other is there. (Perhaps for me more actually!)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I don't live in your area but my DS is worried about not knowing anyone as there is just one boy from his class going to the same school.He is desperate to be put in the same form group but that is unlikely as it is decided according to their literacy skills and the other boy could probably write War and Peace .It's just a comfort blanket and I remember feeling sick on my first day but on such a high at 4 pm after making so many friends.I'm sure it's the same for everyone and it seems these days the schools are so much better at arranging taster days and encouraging the children to mix.Of course you will all feel anxious to begin with but everything is likely to turn out ok ! :D
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

I remember feeling more nervous than ds1 and worried about whether he'd settle down (this was a BIG move for us from London to Birmingham). Unsurprisingly, ds1 was the only boy from his primary school going to KECHB and it's sad leaving your friends, extended family and home city. :(

What really helped was the Sports Camp during the summer holidays run by KECHB for their new entrants in Y7. If your ds likes sport, I strongly recommend to try it out.

The Sports Camp is a fantastic opportunity for your ds to make new friends, play sport, meet staff and get a feel for the school. By the time ds1 started Y7, he didn't feel 'new' at all and I was surprised at how smooth the transition went :D

DenDe

Post by DenDe »

The Sports Camp sounds interesting DIY Mum. Is it open to all the new yr 7s? Is it at the beginning or the end of the summer holiday? I suppose we'll hear all about it at the induction evening.

It must have been really difficult for your ds moving to a completely new area. Mine's got nothing to worry about really has he?
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Yes, you'll definitely hear about it soon. It's offered to all Y7 students but as the no. of places are limited, early registration is recommended.

The Sports Camp is held around the beginning of August. It's really good of the staff to organise it and they do it so well too. DCs get a certificate at the end of it but the main thing is that they've had fun, made friends and have worked together as a team. :)

It's natural to worry Dende. I'm getting all nervous again with ds2 and dd.
Ds2 should be fine but I hope dd settles in well at KE Handsworth. :| It is a consolation that they will be on the same bus together, even if they sit apart! :P
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

mike1880 wrote:They'll be going in by the same gate in this case tho' so it's hardly like they're being torn apart and sent to opposite ends of the earth. Unless they're like our 2 and likely to end up pushing each other under bus if forced to wait at the same stop.

Mike
:lol: :lol: :lol:

When my son was going to the Boy's grammar his sister ( 4 years older) said that she knew several boys there and had asked them to 'keep an eye out for him'..we got the impression this was not a good thing!
Footballdad

Post by Footballdad »

My DS who is currently in Y7 and KECHG was the only girl from her school to gain a place. Like most children she was slightly apprehensive but the excitement of starting at the school she wanted spured her on.

What made her life easy was that she was given access to bgfl (Birmingham Grid for Learning) website. If i recall correctly she logged on and she was able to commuinicate with other girls who were going to start at KECHG at the same time as her. The forum was moderated by KECHG teachers. My madame found this very useful as she chatted online with a numerous girls before hand.

Also i believe in most cases especially mine we parents worry more than our kids. They adapt very quickly.
um

Post by um »

My son, having been to a few Primary schools, knew a few boys who would be in his year at CH :lol:

However apart from the whining that he didn't want to pay rugby (which he now loves), I don't recall feeling any apprehension myself, or him mentioning any.
I think we were both so relieved he was going to CH and not the local comp, that we didn't think or worry about actually settling in. I was more worried about ds3 settling in at nursery to think about it :D
He settled in very quickly, and his friends now are not those who he initially was familiar with anyway. It seems that the majority are the 'only' one from their school, in their class.
coolie

Post by coolie »

My daughter starts at Queen Mary's High in Walsall in Sept. I can empathise with DIY Mum, because I think I'm feeling more nervous than my dd. She seems pretty calm and I keep on thinking about her settling in as she's the only girl from her school going there. She'll also be travelling on the Green bus for about an hour. I know she'll adapt but I suppose it's just a natural instinct that parents worry.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My child is an 'only' as well! Fortunately, the school has a few induction events before September which means he'll meet other boys (and us other parents).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now