% chance entry into Grammar schools distant from home addres

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ushi2011

% chance entry into Grammar schools distant from home addres

Post by ushi2011 »

Hi,
I'm new to this website, and am currently in the process of looking for schools for my younger brother. Unfortunately we've only recently moved to Birmingham, and don't really know anyone with much experience of the application process.

I think we were planning on applying to 4 grammar schools, and 2 normal schools. Is this a good ratio?

We live in the Northfield area, and I wasn't sure whether there is a chance of my brother getting into a grammar school like Bishop Vesey's which is all the way in Sutton Coldfield?

Any advice that you can give me about the whole application process would be very welcome!!!

Thank you!
um

Re: % chance entry into Grammar schools distant from home ad

Post by um »

Kings Norton train station is on the direct line to Sutton Coldfield - from there it is a few minutes walk up to Bishop Vesey's.
So it is a reasonable journey in my opinion, no changes and pretty regular train services. There are boys who travel from there - and also from Worcestershire - to get to Bishop Vesey's. The train will have a good number of other BV boys on it and the school told me at open day that the boys tend to walk en masse from the station to the school in the morning, and vice versa in the afternoon.

Entry to all the Birmingham Grammars is based on test score, not distance. There are no catchment areas.
The only time distance would be looked at, is when a number of pupils were in a tie for the last place available. In that case, it would be allocated first to any pupil in care, then on distance to school.
In general, though, distance is not relevant.

That said, your closest Grammar would be Five Ways, then Camp Hill. As you'll probably be aware, these two schools have historically required higher test marks to gain entry.

The Warwickshire Grammars do have a catchment circle. Priority is given to those living within it. If you're thinking of Alcester Grammar, you can check with Warks admissions whether you are in the catchment circle.

Best wishes :D
ushi2011

Re: % chance entry into Grammar schools distant from home ad

Post by ushi2011 »

Thank you!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now