2006 Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Elated KEFW Parents

2006 Results

Post by Elated KEFW Parents »

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:53 pm Post subject: Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To KenR, I have spoken to the Foundation Office and to Birmingham LEA and have the pass marks you requested:

KE Aston - 324
KE Camp Hill - 343
KE Five Ways - 328
Bishop Vesey - 324
I see that score for KEAS and KEFW are 4 points apart and 15 points to KECH. We had KEFW as 1st choice and KECH as 2nd, strange but true. Although we liked Camphill and it has a good reputation, for personal reasons, we opted for Fiveways.

Although my son passed the exam and got his 1st choice school, is there anyway of finding out his score, i.e did he pass the requirements for Camphill?. Just something that I would like to know.

Would welcome advice.

Thanks

[/url]
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Elated

The only way would be by phoning the KE Foundation Office but I suspect that they may only give these out to parents who have a need to know ie are on the waiting list or failed.

Once your child has passed and has been allocated a place I think you will find the school probably wants to avoid the any potential bragging rights issues amongst pupils in the playground.

Well done to your child - great school - we are very pleased with the way our son has settled in.
Millie

Post by Millie »

Does anyone know what the relative pass marks were for the KE Girls' schools and Sutton Girls?

Post by Guest »

Hi.

Only know that Sutton Girls was same as Bishop Vesey which was 324. The waiting list only has pupils who scored 318 or more.

CLP

Post by Guest »

KE Camp Hill Girls 321
KE Handsworth 318

Post by Guest »

Is there any reason why the girls seem to get in with lower marks? I was under the impression that until A Level standard girls always perform better than boys, but the admission marks don't seem to reflect this.
jah

Post by jah »

This is one for the statisticians!! I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that this is possibly because they are standardised scores distributed around an average value; rather than actual marks from the paper.

It suggests that the curve of distribution for boys is flatter than that for girls. There are more high-performing and low-performing boys than girls. The girls tend more towards the mean (of those taking the test). This is not necessarily representative of the population as a whole.

It could mean that parents of bright girls are more likely than parents of bright boys to choose not to put them in for exam beacuse they have a good local comp; and are less likely to enter girls who don't stand a chance. And the converse that parents of boys less likely to settle for good comp. for bright boys, and more likely to enter boys who don't stand a chance.

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Camp hill boys will always have a higher pass mark as there are only 90 places whereas there are 120 at Camp Hill girls and 150 at Five Ways.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Jah and Guest,

I looked into this last year and also the KEFW head clarified.

As was said it's purely down to the statistics and popularity.

There are 197 places at KE boys schools (Camp Hill & Aston) but 248 at KE Girl Schools (Camp Hill & Handsworth), together with 150 co-ed places at KEFW. This means that it's statistically a much better deal for Girls, hence the tendancy for the Girls schools to have a lower pass mark.

The actuall pass marks for each school varies year by year depending on the popularity, but Camp Hill boys is always higher - interestingly the is no set allocation of Girls and Boys at KEFW, again it works out that more boys apply simply because there are more places at the other girls schools.

Post by Guest »

Five ways takes more boys than girls - to even it out. There will be the same number of places for girls and boys. The reason 5ways is co ed is becuase there used to be more places for boys than girls and they had to even it out. Boys also have handworth Grammar.