Where can i get the 2011 GCSE results for S.Bham and Solihul

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

busybees

Re: Where can i get the 2011 GCSE results for S.Bham and Sol

Post by busybees »

Thank you Mike for the Link and @ No ball no we not in catchment area for Tudor Grange. We heard lot about langley school but it doesn't seem as good as Tudor grange from the results.

Please anyone correct me if i am wrong and info on the school i have listed what would you do if you were to choose from those 4 schools. How you would rank them.

Thanks
um

Post by um »

Mike1880 - my results were 2011, your link was 2010...

RE Choosing between the 4 Solihull Schools, there seems to be little difference 'academically' so I would make a list of what your priorities are for your child in terms of ethos and look for those in each school.

I would also consider if you are able to gain a place in each school - you need to be within less than a mile for Langley, for example, as it is quite a small school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think the catchments can be pretty tight for a couple of the schools here - BB have you included your catchment school?
busybees

Post by busybees »

hi
Ninestile is my catchment school am also under 1 mile for langley. But heard lot of people move close to langley to get in school so thought it was very good like tudor grange. Alderbrook got good results too. Thanks.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I have to say the Solihull LEA website has always been pretty good but this year it's really stunning. It's worth applying to a Solihull school just to have an excuse to play with the online maps...

In past years Langley was academically distinctly better than Alderbrook and Light Hall. I'm not sure that's still the case, but bear in mind that it might be down to what Solihull's been doing with its catchment areas rather than to any inherent qualities in the schools (i.e. they might have just stirred up the demographics rather than there being any significant improvement/deterioration in teaching at any of them).

Mike
um

Post by um »

I agree Mike1880 -I was very impressed with Solihull LA's admissions - as well as the other general info they have up on the web, such as the yearly census of all pupil numbers in each school!

As for Langley, it is smaller than Alderbrook or Light Hall so you need to take that into account... only 2 years ago, you needed to be within a tiny 0.4 miles of it to gain entry, and although this spread to 0.9 miles this year, there are no promises that it won't shrink again.
Whereas the other two schools have had larger (and therefore more socially varied) areas from which their pupils were drawn, although Alderbrook's is now shrinking.

Light Hall seems an excellent school to be honest but its catchment includes quite a bit of social housing and extends to include a number of commuters from Birmingham, including Yardley Wood. Therefore it was traditionally perceived (by Sihilians not in social housing or Yardley Wood) as not as desirable as Alderbrook or Langley.

The problem I have, is that my son's Primary (where pupils traditionally go to Alderbrook) are running a full day 'experience' to Light Hall soon to include lunch, sports, tours, etc. This is clear propaganda :? My fear is that after seeing their shiny new halls and faciliities and having a carefully prepared 'great day', my ds will decide he doesn't need to bother trying for the 11 plus :shock:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Incidentally, I only noticed today that Ofsted has treated all the academy conversions as closed schools and their reports no longer show up in searches. Their "academy converter" search appears to be pretty useless, the easiest way to find them seems to be to put the school name in the site search (search box at top right of screen).

Mike
um

Post by um »

I am very unhappy with Ofsted over this.

Parents had always been able to go to Ofsted.co.uk, type in their postcode and find, say, all secondary schools within a 10 mile radius.

It was an essential source of information when making choices.

Now I do this and there are lots of schools missing - all those who converted to academies.

Fortunately, having been through the process before, I do know which schools I am looking for, etc.

But what of parents who are not sure exactly which schools are out there, particularly those on the border between local authorities or who move to a new area? This vital information has now been taken away from our hands.

Being able to put is a school name in the search is no use if a parent doesn't actually know the names of the schools nearby
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

um - you can now type your postcode into the DFE website here and get the info on all schools http://www.education.gov.uk/areas-and-establishments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - with links to recent Ofsteds. I think this is in fact better than the old system. Still needs a bit of tweaking as some secondary schools are listed as 'other' (I think these may be the ones that include day nurseries etc) so you can't see them on exactly the same page.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now