Kes exam help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
NASA

Kes exam help

Post by NASA »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this in the sense that I've not put a message on before. However the forum has helped me a lot with preparing my ds for his exam earlier this month :)

Could someone please help with the kind of topics that come up in the kes exam as we have that in January (aarrgghhh) is it similar to gs exams or not? I've check the independent schools link but can't seem to find anything.

All help much appreciated :) thanks in advance

NASA
lurkerfor11

Re: Kes exam help

Post by lurkerfor11 »

Hi there

My DS is also taking the KES exam in January, I'm not sure about what topics will come up in the exam, all I have is is the 'Advice to parents of candidates preparing for the 11+ admission examination' sheet that came with the exam timetable.

It tell you what type of things your DC will need to know in Maths, English and Verbal Reasoning.

Not sure if this helps but this is all I have.

Thanks
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

There is a VR paper which contains all the usual suspects and a few others too that are not part of the usual 21 types. The English element is usually a piece of comprehension (standard answers not multiple choice) and written composition. The titles for the writing vary but as far as I know there is no choice of questions to choose from. Here they are looking for a very good standard of writing - more on par with Indie primaries than state primaries. The maths is split into 3 sections that are progressively harder. Good mathematicians should be able to make a decent attempt at the first 2 sections but I have been told that the third section is really very difficult and is used to identify possible scholarship candidates.

Hope that makes things clearer :D

UmSusu
UmSusu
NASA

Post by NASA »

Thanks for the response, I've not sent off the application form yet as our main focus has been the gs exams so have not received the breakdown. I guess will have to do that soon! We're having this week off and will be back on track from Monday :(
I guess will have to set it up a gear as I take it the exam is harder than gs ones!!!

Hope it goes for you too :)

Thanks again
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

When my child did kes and gs test, more in his year passed kes than gs test. Whether this implies gs is harder than indies or not is subject to debate.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I think I understand where you come from Paramjeet, but there are over 300 KE spaces for boys and around 120 for KES. Surely KES does not over-offer to that extent? I think it might be the case that although there are exceptions where it is vice versa, it can be more difficult to make the cut-off for CHB than KES. Not everyone who was offered a grammar school place was offered KES. Either way, it is a tough exam.

Sorry guys, I know this debate can get heated : I am not trying to say that one school is 'better' than the other as I think they are both excellent and offer different things - it depends on what environment suits the child.

UmSusu
UmSusu
um

Post by um »

The KES exam is really not as much of a mystery as the CEM exams.

Once registered (for a fee of £25 :? ) you will receive a sheet (on rather nice cream paper :D ) with a breakdown of what will be tested. Previously this paper had suggested using NFER standard practice papers for the VR, Maths etc.

As has been pointed out, the KES examination tests Mathematics (some of the later questions are very challenging), English comprehension, English writing (usually one essay topic is given) and traditional Verbal reasoning.
Boys stay for the full day and there are sporting activities to break up the exam timetable.

At KEHS, the girls attend for two full days.

I have known children who have not made KES but have made Five Ways and I've also known children who have made KES but did not make KE Aston.
Every year we have the same discussions as to which school is better; all the King Edward schools are excellent in my opinion and I would be happy with any of them for my children. All are highly selective and have high standards.
In terms of percentage chance of getting in, obviously KECH Boys would be more difficult because there are statistically more boys competing for fewer places - being free, it is therefore accessible to more families.
My boys went to KECH because with a large family, and the possibility that any younger siblings may need a full-fees place somewhere, we could not take on any fees commitment, even on AP, so we never really had to think about the 'dilemma'.
I believe KES significantly over-offer, as many who take the exam cannot, to be fair, afford fees, and have taken it in the hope of an AP or scholarship. If this is not forthcoming, they will usually be unable to attend and will often eschew the place in favour of a Grammar or comprehensive .

It will be interesting to see if there are fewer applications this year, as once families find out their child has achieved a high enough score for a Grammar, they may decide not to go ahead with the Indie exams.
My own boys took the KES exam 'blind'; i.e. we had no idea how they had done in the Grammar school exams, yet had I known then that they'd made CH I wouldn't have put them through it.

Much is made of KES' scholarships and APs but it is reasonable to say (since so many think they're going to get one) that they are very limited. There are no 100% scholarships, but combined with an AP if you're on a very low income, this could turn out as a free place.
If you're earning a 'middle class' wage, the APs on offer still require you to pay the majority of the fees, regardless of other dependants and commitments. A breakdown of assisted place levels is available on the KES website.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

KES had a fantastic first year set of IB results. 3 boys achieved the max 45 marks. KES is a very very good school and excellent finishing for the boys.

It's the closest school to the indie I went to on London. Ah such memories
Dave1879

Post by Dave1879 »

I have a nephew & niece who went to KES & KEHS respectively & they both have done tremendously well so far. One is hoping to be an ophthalmic surgeon & the other a barrister. The main thing that stands out is that these two schools carefully nurture the children resulting in well-rounded individuals who exude confidence & individuality.
I have been saying for years very much the same thing: if you have the financial means then
look no further than these two schools.
Regards
Dave
CaptainCaveman

Post by CaptainCaveman »

um wrote: At KEHS, the girls attend for two full days.

It will be interesting to see if there are fewer applications this year, as once families find out their child has achieved a high enough score for a Grammar, they may decide not to go ahead with the Indie exams.

At KEHS the girls attend for two half days for the exam. A bit annoying as they do the exam on school days (Thurs 31 Jan 2013 and Fri 1 Feb), so you have to inform your child's current school they will be off.

I did wonder about the second point myself. There should be at fewer sitting the indie exams. Being from an indie myself my children will sit the exams for them anyway.