11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

matreshka

Re: 11+

Post by matreshka »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by matreshka on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
shital

Post by shital »

Thanks every one, but still i didnt get my answer that when can i start doing the practice papers?? He is in year 5 so if any one can help me with that??

Also if any one know about the comperhension book (8-9)?
if anyone can suggess any good book???
um

Post by um »

If you mean the big sets of practice papers (not the Bond books) then wait until May at the earliest.

As your own family language may be other than English, you may find it helpful to buy some audio Cds to listen to in the car/at bedtime, to enhance your dc's exposure to correct grammar, vocabulary, etc.

Bond Comprehension is a good book to go through together.
You can also try Schofield and Sims KS2 Comprehension books (the teacher's companion and answer book is separate).
As DIY Mum has also said, you can go through Bond English, Maths and NVR fourth papers now.

To improve vocabulary, try audio cds, reading, and freerice.com as well as the CDRom from this website, and AE Vocabulary books.
shital

Post by shital »

Just doing the bond books in year 5, is that enough??? or i have to use the different materials??
um

Post by um »

Please read the last line of my post above.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

um wrote:You can also try Schofield and Sims KS2 Comprehension books (the teacher's companion and answer book is separate).
As DIY Mum has also said, you can go through Bond English, Maths and NVR fourth papers now.

To improve vocabulary, try audio cds, reading, and freerice.com as well as the CDRom from this website, and AE Vocabulary books.

Shital I suggest that you read through this thread again carefully - you have been given some very helpful information..INCLUDING suggestions for other material. There is no point in asking the same question over and over again

Yoyo
shital

Post by shital »

Hi, We doing the bond NVR books, any other good book for practices for Birmingham exam? Thanks.
wanting4

Post by wanting4 »

Hi Shital,

Look back carefully over the replies you've been given...there are lots of suggestions for the material you need! I suspect English isn't your first language so I'll use quite simple terms. Just be careful you don't make your son too tired to take the test when it comes. He is doing a lot of work so I hope he is having some fun too!

Good luck :D
MSD

Post by MSD »

Shital,

Personally, I don't feel you are doing excessive amount of work with your child, contrary to the suggestions from some posters. There is nothing wrong with spending regular time on bond books and 15 minutes of reading sounds fairly reasonable. If anything I would increase the reading time to around 40 minutes. The English element of KEGS exam is specifically targeted towards children who read from a young age instead of the long hours spent laboriously learning vocabulary and practicing cloze. These elements of the language will come naturally to child who enjoys reading.I would highly recommend your child investing a lot of time reading over the next 6 months.

Coming back to your question regarding the books to use. As your might have already gathered from this website the KEGS exams comprises of three main elements: Maths, English, Non Verbal Reasoning

Maths
---------------------------------------------------

From my knowledge the Mental Airthmetic section has not appeared over the past two years and has been replaced by a longer problem solving section. But this might change next year.

For mental airthmetic, I would recommend Schofield and Sims books, specifically book no. 3, 4 and 5. For longer Maths, Bond is your best bet. I will concentrate on 4th, more 4th, 5th and more 5th papers. They also do some 10 minutes papers which are very useful. Additionally, You can download the past Mathematics papers from MGS and HABS websites. They are pitched at the same sort of diffculty as the ones he will encounter in the exam.

NVR

Again I will go for the Bond and possibly Learing together books. But do bear in mind that the ones that appear in the actual exam are of a higher difficulty.

English

For vocab I would use the 12 set AE tuition books and Schonells. For cloze you can use the set of books published by Prim-Ed publishing or you can grow your own. KEGS comprehensions are multiple choice and although Bond English books are useful for practice they are not targeted at multiple choice audience. The best you can do with comprehensions is to either find suitable material or read with him and then come up with your own set of multiple choice questions!!

I hope this helps. My own knowledge on this subject is primarily based on the information I have gathered from some very helpful posters like FM, KenR etc.

Shital, you can find detailed information about the exam content by clicking on the link below.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=14423

All the best !!
shital

Post by shital »

Thanks for your adivce everyone.