11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

Re: 11+

Post by JaneEyre »

UmSusu wrote:I have asked her twice now and don't really know what to do now without appearing too pushy.
I might be wrong (French peope are very straightforward and lack the diplomacy of brits! :lol: Maybe you remember Chirac's behaviour during the Gulf War?), but if I were in your shoes, as you have asked the teacher twice and it might be that still nothing has been done :shock: :shock: :shock: , I may try to see again the headteacher and explain very nicely that the interviews are in full flow now (sorry, certainly not the right idiom here) and the future of pupils are decided now at KES, and that's very important that your son is given his chance!
UmSusu wrote: I know I am biased but he really is a model pupil, school council etc and loved by all at school (he has been described as the 'moral compass' of the class as he always sorts out any bullying or bad behaviour without ever getting into a fight).
Your DS seems such a lovely gentleman!!! :D And remember always, that whatever path your DS will follow academically, what really counts in this life is not his diplomas or phD,etc... but how he lead his life down here, what his moral values are and how much many good deeds versus how many bad he performs. Keep eveything in the right perspective :wink: To miss a place at a GS or a private school is not the end of the world... :D
UmSusu wrote: as they start to come down the list and run out of places, the report is going to be even more important in deciding between candidates.
Does anyone know how the 'they come down the list' works. How do they decide AP or scholarship? How do they decide who has 20% and who has 50% scholarship? Is it the ones who got the best score in the written exams who got 50%? Or does this depend of what they feel the parents have in their bank account during the interview? Are the pupils coming from state school more at advantage here that the children coming from prep school?
Any proper info about that matter would be very well received by me who is more and more dreaming for a place at KES but I am afraid of having to decline it if we don't have enough money, even if a 20% scholarship is offered to us... However, I might already have shot in our foot by my poor performance at parents' interview, missing the correct words to express my line of thoughts :cry:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I agree, it's time to go to the head and ask him firmly but politely to take some action himself, this is not acceptable.

Mike
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thanks for the advice, JaneEyre and Mike,

I guess I will have to talk to the Head now. I know they are busy but I just don't understand the lack of consideration. The first time I tried to allow for the fact that it might just have been left on the side and forgotten, so I just stressed that the reports were an important part of the current decision process and that by the end of this week they will already have contacted everyone to be interviewed. The second time was a week later and she still didn't appear bothered at all. I will have to talk to the Head and hope he sorts it out.
JaneEyre wrote: Does anyone know how the 'they come down the list' works. How do they decide AP or scholarship? How do they decide who has 20% and who has 50% scholarship? Is it the ones who got the best score in the written exams who got 50%? Or does this depend of what they feel the parents have in their bank account during the interview? Are the pupils coming from state school more at advantage here that the children coming from prep school?
Any proper info about that matter would be very well received by me who is more and more dreaming for a place at KES but I am afraid of having to decline it if we don't have enough money, even if a 20% scholarship is offered to us... However, I might already have shot in our foot by my poor performance at parents' interview, missing the correct words to express my line of thoughts :cry:
Don't worry, I don't think you can scupper his chances through your language (I only wish I possessed your multi-lingual skills). I know of pupils that received APs even though their parents could barely speak English at all - they are more interested in your DS's ability/personality. I don't really know how they decide how much to award but I have read that they decide the scholarships based on how much they think would entice the parents to accept a place. Either way, if they are chosen instead for an AP, that element is based on parental income. Again, when I spoke to admissions they said the report and interview would be used in this case to help choose the right candidate.

Good Luck!
UmSusu
um

Post by um »

I agree - my ds's school sent the reports to KES weeks ago.
I would certainly not attempt to write a draft though.
I have no idea what was in the report but at least the teacher told me she'd written one and sent it off.
I hope you've seen the Head this morning - the teacher may be 'busy' but this is her job and the delay is unacceptable.
If it isn't done by tomorrow, write an urgent letter to the Chair of governors too.
I very much doubt they will invite for interview before the school report comes in.

As for not getting through books, I have Schofield and Sims nursery books that I bought for ds2 - he didn't complete them, they became too easy, so I gave them to dd. She didn't complete them and they became too easy so I'm now doing them (7 years later!) with ds3!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Head is not there but I left a message to say I will be calling him at 8 in the morning.
um wrote: As for not getting through books, I have Schofield and Sims nursery books that I bought for ds2 - he didn't complete them, they became too easy, so I gave them to dd. She didn't complete them and they became too easy so I'm now doing them (7 years later!) with ds3!
That is the advantage of having a larger family! You can just keep passing things down until you get full use out of them - although you have to try and remember that you still have them.

My kids don't really mind but they draw the lines at hand-me-down pants : so I just put them in the drawers without telling them :shock:
UmSusu
um

Post by um »

lol my 2 year old is still wearing the pants and socks that my 13 year old used to wear :lol:
Waste not, want not...
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The question is did your DD wear them too or did you spare her that?
UmSusu
um

Post by um »

No - she had everything in pink :D and has never worn any of her brother's things!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Being the DC6 of a large family, I remember well wearing the clothes of my older sibblings. Thats wasn't really a problem for me ; however, the thing I hated the most were the clothes my mum was sewing from me (especially the trousers :shock: )!!! I imagine that was cheaper for her than buying me clothes.... But really, sometimes, I was ashamed!

My best memories of being the last one of the family was 'tidying days' for my brothers and sisters (when they were tidying their bedroom from bottom to top once a year or so): they would give me all the clutter they didn't need any more and these were like treasures for me! :roll:

Another fond memories were the sweets my big sister number 2 was buying for me when she was a student (there is a ten year gap between us). My parents never bought sweets :( except when we were going on holidays for the car journey... so these sweets were happily wolfed down by me and I was looking forward my sister coming on some weekends! :lol:

Um , in a few years time, take regularly your youngest DC to the dentist in case DC1 and DC2 spoil your littles ones in your back :wink:
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

UmSusu, I have just read about your ordeal and can't quite fathom why your DS's teacher would be so relaxed! She needs something 'per Rectum' to get her backside into gear!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now