School Website Grumbles

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Turtlegirl

School Website Grumbles

Post by Turtlegirl »

Have just tried to contact Queen Mary High School in Walsall through their website. First it didn't believe the antispam code I typed in. When I got a new one it gave me this error message:
CDO.Message.1 error '80040213'
The transport failed to connect to the server.
/website_qmhs/fdbck2.asp, line 74

Will have to phone them in the morning to get a copy of their registration form. But honestly. School websites. So many fail to give proper info eg dates of open evenings. No curriculum details. And then one of the local ones here (Holly Lodge I am naming and shaming you) was so far hidden down the Google listing because it was brand new that I kept on going to the old broken one and then none of the staff at the open evening were aware that the new one was up and running properly.

It would almost seem that schools don't want you to find too much out about them. But surely that can't be the case...
um

Re: School Website Grumbles

Post by um »

Hmm, while you can't judge a school by its website, it can sometimes tell you how 21st Century they are. Or not.

I know one Head (now retired) who told me a few years ago that he had never been on the internet in his life and didn't intend to either :shock: .

If I were to give an award for the best website it would have to be KE Five Ways. Even if you're not considering it, check out the 'virtual tour'. It was cool 8)
coolie

Re: School Website Grumbles

Post by coolie »

Whilst I agree Queen Mary's HS website needs a lot of updating you can't just rely on school websites for info. Saying that the open evening dates are all listed and the registration form is available to download now. My dd started there in September and so far so good. They tend to write a lot of letters, rather than use the website. I would attend the open evening if you can and try and get there early so you can have a good look around. Good luck
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now