mock exam from t---r house in bham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Re: mock exam from t---r house in bham

Post by Sally-Anne »

It is a completely unregulated field.

For that very reason there is quite a lot of advice on choosing a tutor on the site :
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/services/11plus-tutors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

What about CRB checks? Leaving a 10 year old with a 'tutor stranger' surely some checks ? What a loop hole, but then again I suppose onus on parents to do their homework
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

We've had this discussion before. It's impossible for an individual to apply for a CRB check for themselves, they have to apply on behalf of a registered organisation. For childminders (for example) that's Ofsted, but there's no organisation that covers individual tutors.

Mike
um

Post by um »

The past government had planned an 'Independent Safeguarding Authority' which would have required all those working with children, in whatever capacity, to pay a registration fee that would have included a CRB check, a review of this, and registration on the ISA list.

The current gvmt abolished this, alongside a few patronising comments about how safeguarding had 'gone over the top'.

So, as everything is currently under review, we have yet to see exactly what the coalition's plans are.

To be fair, CRB checks are not a document that tells you that this person is 100% safe. They only tell you that they haven't been caught.... Child abusers often continue for decades with a 'clean' record. And you can't tell who they are by just looking at them.

With that chilling thought, I can only say that we should ensure our children are confident in personality and able to raise concerns with us easily. And, obviously, the vast majority of people who work with children are sincere and would never harm a child.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

um wrote:To be fair, CRB checks are not a document that tells you that this person is 100% safe. They only tell you that they haven't been caught.... Child abusers often continue for decades with a 'clean' record. And you can't tell who they are by just looking at them.
Nor - this is an important point - can you tell from an absence of gossip in the playground. You have to actively ask parents of previous children whether they have had any worries because it's not likely that anyone will want to mention their suspicions, even in this supposedly over-sensitive age.

Mike
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

It's a point that can be overlooked, was only raising it as a gentle reminder to newbies to bear at the back if their mind!
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Does anyone know if T***r House is rated as a prep for Year 4 and Year 5 Grammar School Tuition? I am not sure what to make of them. Most of the feedback, on this post, has been about their mock exams. But, frankly, are they up to the task.

Also, any thoughts on K**L?

Edited. perhaps moderators can advise as to whether this question is appropriate for me to ask, and whether I should receive any responses via pm, rather than on this posting.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Hi optimist

Couldn't tell you anything about first. Will pm you on my limited knowledge of k??? later - sorry big exam on Friday and finding it difficult to get my thoughts together right now.
UmSusu
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Plz, may I ask you to copy and paste your answer to optimist concerning KS...? I am interested also by any feedback about them.

Best wishes for you exams! :wink:
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thanks JaneEyre :D I will copy you in.

I need all the luck I can get for the exam- I studied many of the plays in detail as I went along as I was anticipating the 11 plus / my final exams clash but it ended up being far worse than I thought. I now have until Friday to learn all there is to know about King Lear, Hamlet, Macbeth and The Sonnets - I think my life is turning into a tragedy before my own eyes :( :

I wasted time and now time doth waste me
Richard II
UmSusu
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now