Good luck!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Turtlegirl

Re: Good luck!!

Post by Turtlegirl »

My lovely girl (being examined at KE Handsworth) said it was 'Okay. Ish.' And came out smiling. She was very pleased with the order of the tasks as she had the subjects she finds easy first. She said the maths was really difficult. But then she always finds the maths hard...

We had a wonderful afternoon eating sushi at Selfridges and shopping until we were dropping. Not sure I can afford for her to take the 11+ too many times! We kept on spotting similar aged girls out in town being treated by their parents and were wondering how many of them had been taking the KE exam too :)
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Sallyann, that is really terrible! I would make a complaint about this as it is difficult enough as it is without further drama :evil:
UmSusu
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I agree with UmSusu -Sallyann - you should definitely flag it with the Foundation. So sorry to hear about all the disruption for your daughter.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Sallyann,if I were u, write to the foundation asap. That sounds like a terrible situation for a young child.

Must admit, collection at KECH was bedlam. It was to be expected because they had accommodated twice the amount normally due to another test centre closing.
Sallyannb1

Post by Sallyannb1 »

Hi, thanks for your recommendation'! my concern is that i will get a black mark for making a complaint.

Is it true, that say for example:- the last past mark for the school is let's say 85%, and 50 girls get that mark. Dont they then have to decide which ones get in if there is let's say 10 places left? I just worry that my DD could miss out, because i have complained?
What do you think?
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Sallyannb1, don't think anyone can answer that one for u :-(. Although, I sincerely hope it doesn't affect any future decisions for your DD.
um

Post by um »

My ds2 sat at CH Boys and said that at no point in the cd recording were they given any warning that time was nearly up.
I had told him they would receive a 30 second warning (as had previously been the case).

He also had a watch and said that on one section, he was told they had 8 minutes, timed 7 minutes had gone by on his watch and then was told to stop (he missed the last few). I assumed that this was due to his inaccurate reading of the time, but now that sallyann has posted, I would like to ask all posters to please confirm with your dcs - was there warning given of 'time up' or was there no warning at all?

If warning was given (e.g 30 seconds to go) as had previously been the case, it means that the tape in sallyann's and my ds2's room was faulty and they will have undoubtedly been put at a disadvantage due to this. If no-one received any warning of time-up, we can assume that this was the intended format of the exam this year.

Added: sallyann, the school makes no decision about who gets in. It is done via scores alone (if more than one child gets the last score in, then, and only then, it will be decided on distance).

Yes, there was a lot of confusion at pick-up time at CHB. dh and scores of other parents were directed to the wrong entrance by the girls school and told they couldn't go round to the back of CHB as the letter had requested them to do. Dh and ds2 didn't get home until 1.10pm (we live 10 minutes away!)
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

My daughter (in a small room at KE Handsworth) tells me she had half way warnings and 1 minute warnings on all the sections.
um

Post by um »

ds2 now says he had the half-time warning but the 1 minute warnings only on two sections.

I am now wondering whether he just didn't hear them (poor and very selective hearing, especially when concentrating :roll: ).

To be fair, he seemed to have enough time on all the sections but one - that was the only one where not hearing/getting the warning and suddenly hearing the 'stop now' call, caused him to miss out about 4 questions.

sallyann, if the person reading the cd (as it had broken) indeed gave no warning, then that was certainly unfair.
Surely they must have had a spare cd player/spare cd to use in case of such a scenario!
Did the teacher read the second half out too?...I would have thought they'd be able to fix it by then.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

My DS also said they had a 'half way through' warning. Not sure about the 'one minute/30 second' shout out. He is out at the moment, will check and post once I know the full picture :-)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now