KEGS exam has thrown a googly

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sss

Post by sss »

Hi
It seems that the B'ham Consortium/CEM have thrown a googly in the Nov 2011 test & that the format to the KEGS exam has changed slightly compared to recent years.
They have included these so-called shuffled words in the English section which I doubt many would have anticipated.
Could KenR and others possibly elaborate on these new type of questions? If I'm right they are similar to the questions found in traditional VR books.
I think we can safely say that English is a greater component in the overall exam & one has to expect the unexpected from CEM tests.
KenR

Re: KEGS exam has thrown a googly

Post by KenR »

I can only really quote from the disclaimer:-

Disclaimer: Univ of Durham CEM who prepare the tests do not give advance notice of the content. They are always looking for new ways to test children. There is no guarantee that any or all of the content of previous tests will be included in future B/Ham KE 11+ exams

It doesn't surprise me that that new question types will come up - Univ of Durham are always trying to make the exam tutor proof
sky111

Post by sky111 »

My son called the shuffled words as 'Jumbled words'. Jumbled words was also part of the Warwickshire exam 2011. Hard to 'revise' for this as not exactly tutor proof material just sentence structure revision. CEM has to try harder :lol: :lol: :lol:
Camphillian

Post by Camphillian »

sky111 wrote:CEM has to try harder :lol: :lol: :lol:
Agreed, surely they could at least use completely new antonyms and synonyms each year, after all there are plenty of words in the English language. :roll:
faceless

Post by faceless »

I am fairly new to the 11+. Does anyone know what happens if KEGS and Warks exams are on the same day?
Can one be taken at a later date? Do Bham have official extra days as Warks for the first round of applicants?

Does anyone have experience of GS transfers? Eg if someone gets a place at a KEGS and moves to Kent after 2 years, could a child be granted a place?

What if if a child passed KEGS, attended for 2 years and failed Warks and then moved to Warks, would Warks accept the child or reject on the basis he failed 2 years earlier? (All assuming there are spaces).

Cheers
"It's what is said and not who said it, that counts."
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Each LA administers its 'own' 11+ you cannot transfer qualification from one LA to another.