CATs testing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wanting4

CATs testing?

Post by wanting4 »

Hi, I've done a search but didn't want to trawl through pages of 'Appeals' posts :shock: Is CATs testing something that Birmingham schools do? If so is Yr 5 usually done by now? Parents Evening is looming so just wanted to check progression etc.

Thanks W4 :)
Turtlegirl

Re: CATs testing?

Post by Turtlegirl »

Never seen it mentioned on this section of the forum so I'm guessing not. They certainly don't do it in Sandwell or Wolverhampton.
wanting4

Post by wanting4 »

Thanks Turtlegirl...so much things to get my head around, so little time :wink:
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Our school has started doing VR and NVR from year 4 onwards.. Think they are a little like CAT tests..not sure though! As a norm, don't think carried out in Brum.
wanting4

Post by wanting4 »

Thanks Reeyah. x
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I believe our primary might have done it a couple of years ago - daughter mentioned doing some kind of 11+ style test, but only in passing. So it may be happening but if so is done in a very low key way.

Mike
shinealight

Post by shinealight »

Hi Wanting 4

Think CATs are now being used more in years 7 and 10 to assess pupils potential attainment levels for end of KS3, GSCE and A levels in the grammar schools and local comps. My DS is in year 7 at QM Walsall and he did them as well as a friend's DDs who are in year 7 and 10 at Sutton Girls. I understand tests are to assess the pupils for naturally ability as opposed the tutored route of the 11+. DS and friends DDs attained predictions in line with previous attainment levels 5 at KS2 and all said tests were similar to 11+ NVR, Maths and standard VR but more accessible.

Hope this helps.
Shinealight
Always looking on the bright side of life..!
wanting4

Post by wanting4 »

mike1880 wrote:I believe our primary might have done it a couple of years ago - daughter mentioned doing some kind of 11+ style test, but only in passing. So it may be happening but if so is done in a very low key way.

Mike
:D Wouldn't want to do any coaching! Thanks Mike, she had some tests a few weeks back so I'll ask what sort of questions they were.
wanting4

Post by wanting4 »

Shinealight that sounds really interesting. They sound like a good thing to track progress with children, especially when progress stalls over the years.
shinealight

Post by shinealight »

That's so true wanting4 as it usually happens during years 8-9 and during the transistion to GCSE in year 10. These tests usually make the assumptions that if the pupil continues to work at the current level of attainment shown by the results of the tests then he/she should be potentially attaining the levels predicted.

I recently spoke to a friend whose DD sat the Intermediate Maths Challenge, a national 1 hour MC maths test, no calculators so testing pupils ability to mentally work out the answers. Obviously this tests differentiates those able to work quickly and accurately by using effective strategies, often invovling short cut methods probably learnt in maths lessons (I make that assumption as I don't teach maths and as this test is for year 9-11, I assume pupils will be familiar with the types of questions asked).

Friend's DD said timing was an issue and many answers were guessed and she stated that many pupils find the annual test challenging and don't really make the effort to try to work out the answers but just guess them. Levels awarded are bronze, silver and gold, not sure if a platinum level or above is awarded for outstanding performance.. :? So along with the usual plethora of testing and monitoring, pupils' progress as well as the school's progress is also monitored against performance of similar schools nationally. So I wouldn't worry too much about the CATs, your DC will get used to completing tests and being monitored as it's the culture of many GS and local comps these days, albeit it very demanding, pressurising and stressful for pupils and staff of the school.

I often wonder where the FUN in education has gone to :?: :roll:
Shinealight
Always looking on the bright side of life..!