11 or 13

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lex

11 or 13

Post by lex »

If you were happy with the school your child was at and they had been offered a place at KES do you think they would allow you to defer the place? If they did allow this what would be the implecations for the child?
rachag

Re: 11 or 13

Post by rachag »

I may be completely wrong and willing to be corrected but I would imagine that
KES would only hold a definite place for an especially high mark in the entrance exam, after all, they already have more than enough bright boys who could make good use of a kes education that they turn down. You canalways ask the question.
They seem to offer some places at 13 - I suspect the number of these is variable. i know one boy who went at 13 and I was a little surprised as he never struck me as super bright but I may be wrong about him and the level and places available prob vary from year to year.
Re 11 or 13, then might be nicer to get your feet under the table friendshipwise at 11. Also, does the (prep?) school do the latin, split sciences etc. And are they to the same level.
If a leafy prep school, may be v diff culture that may take some getting used to depending on the boy. Also, the independence required may take some getting used to for some boys.
I am sure someone who knows more wil come along soon.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Why did you get the DS's to sit the exams if you were happy with their current school??

Not accusing!! Just curious :D

I can't imagine them keeping a place..
rachag

Post by rachag »

Sorry, back from school run now.
I suppose the bottom line is - how happy are you with the options that are definitely open to you at 13?
lex

Post by lex »

The school they are at sees them through to 13 ,we would then need to move them. We are very happy with the way they are educated but the future needs to be considered
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Oh I see... I would be inclined to send them now then.. Just in case you can't have the same opportunity at 13. You may regret it?

Good luck, and well done to the boys on passing :D
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Congratulations on his place. I agree with Reeyah. Although you are happy where they are, they need to be moved eventually at the age of 13. At least you have a guaranteed place now, this may not be the case later. At 11 they are all in the same boat of having to make new friends, and these friendships may be established by the time new boys start at 13, let alone being at the same level in Maths, Science, Latin etc.

KES has an induction ceremony for the new boys admitted at 11 and 13. From what I can remember from the ceremony I went to, there were only a few boys admitted at this age, according to the places available, and I agree the number may vary (can't be sure of this). I know several boys who just found out they were unsuccessful at the 11 plus and plan to try again at 13 after further tutoring. There are also some who did not consider KES at 11 and are unhappy in their current schools who also plan to try the 13+, let alone boys moving into the area from outside the Midlands. I doubt they would hold a place.

Why don't you call Mrs Phillips and explain your dilemma? She may be able to offer some help.
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

after 2 years unsettle the child again...doesn't make sense unless there is an obvious reason why this is absolutely necessary
lex

Post by lex »

I dont think we would be unsettling them as they have been at their current school since they were 6 ,it is such a hard choice and getting it right is important
bubblebug

Post by bubblebug »

Lex, this does seem like a difficult decision, i see where your coming from. They seem happy and are doing well where they are, and thats a very important factor. After all a child being happy at school is a top priority as well as obviously doing well academically.
They have been offered a place at KES because they are at the standard that KES requires. Therefore they must be doing well at the school there at.
However i would imagine that they would need to be reassessed at 13 and would have to reapply the same as others at 13+.
It can only benefit you that they were offered a place at 11+ stage, but i should think they would have to still be assessed when the time comes to apply at 13+ to ensure they are the level that KES require.
I am sure you will come to a decision that will suit you and your DC.
Good Luck. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now