Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:14 am 
I have a daughter who will start at Edgbaston High School in year 4. She will take a test and then start in Sept 2012. I'd like to know if the school offers fee reductions for payment up-front for a whole year/two years etc. Does anyone have any experience of this or any other advice on the best way to negotiate a fee reduction?

Many Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:07 am 

some schools offer reductions for up front payment but tends to have to be more years than 2 ... some pay 4 or 5 years and get a discount.
At indies the quoted fee is usually for three termly payments - tend to a slight supplement if you pay monthly (sometimes) - but not sure about a discount for the whole year - may be better to hang onto the money and pay it each term.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:34 am 
Thanks for that.

Not sure holding onto the money in the current climate of VERY low interest rates will make it grow much. However getting a good fee reduction for up-front payment may be more prudent. If I asked for a 20% reduction for an up-front payment for 3 years, would I be shown the door, or given a nice cup of tea and a pen to write out a cheque?

Thanks for replies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:40 am 

hmm suspect 20% might be a bit hopeful - last I heard on this was about 5% at most ... there was a thread about this recently

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24203&hilit=discount+fees&start=50

- someone was offered 3%!

have to remember also that the fees in 3 years time may be quite a bit higher than now as they go up 3-6% per annum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:24 pm 
Thanks Hermann, that link was useful. I think I'll be bold and make some kind of proposal and play it by ear thereafter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:17 pm 

Let us know how you get on!

If no luck then could always leave the money in premium bonds - never know they might just solve all the school fee problems...