haly

Re: KE pass scores for 2012

Post by haly »

No. of applicants ;

Camp Hill Girls 1200

Five Ways Boys and Girls 1854

Handsworth 1279

Sutton Girls 1209

During one of the welcome evenings one member of staff told us the reason boys score higher , is because they can retrieve information quicker and therefore they will answer more questions .
Typical boys , quantity over quality !!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Boys don't score higher. CEM goes to a lot of trouble to make sure the test is blind on that point. There may perhaps be more boys at BOTH ends of the spectrum (I've heard it said but can't remember whether it applied to CEM tests) but they do not, overall, score higher: it would be unlawful for the test to discriminate in that way. The qualifying scores are higher at the boys GS because there are fewer GS places available to boys in B'ham. Qualifying score is (with the exception of Five Ways) determined by the number of first preferences (not total applicants) in relation to number of places available.

It's intersting, but perhaps a little alarming, how little teachers and heads appear to understand about the whole secondary schools transfer process: including teachers and heads of the secondary schools themselves.

Mike
MSD

Post by MSD »

Does anyone know the cut off 2012 pass score for QM, Walsall?
AtoZ

Post by AtoZ »

I've had a friend who has been trying for some time to get through to the KE office. After numerous attempts, when she finally did get through, it was only to an automated message saying ''if you want to find out your child's score, leave the name of the child, their ID number and the first line of the address''. Except sadly, just after the beep, it said ''memory full''. :shock: :cry:

Perhaps they should consider hiring temp extra staff based on the number of applicants? :roll: :?
haly

Post by haly »

Thanks Mike ,

I'm new to all this and it's nice someone , armed with the knowledge , can come on here and explain the intricacies without being patronising , thankyou .

Surely Mike , it's ' illegal ' to have more places available to one gender than another .
Last edited by haly on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

MSD,
I have just received a letter from QM
No. of Questions total : 234
VR i.e. English : 123
Maths/Numerical : 67
NVR : 44
Total number of applicants :844
It also says that 96 places have been offered to those who have been ranked in the top 201.

This clearly shows that English is the most important factor for obtaining a good rank for most of the grammar schools
MSD

Post by MSD »

Thanks anxious_mother. Does the letter mention the minimum standardised mark to gain a place or the standardised mark for your child?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

844 applicants, offered to 201st place means qualifying score approx 221, give or take (332 if it's standardised three ways).

Mike
MSD

Post by MSD »

Thanks Mike! That's what I was interested in; are they standardising 3 way or have they gone down the same route as KE
ok1

Post by ok1 »

[quote="anxious_mother] This clearly shows that English is the most important factor for obtaining a good rank for most of the grammar schools[/quote]

QM being our nearest grammar, i know of many parents who were both surprised and dissapointed at the results. The recent change to CEM style testing by QM has meant a greater focus has been placed on english as well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now