Newport waiting list, help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vza

Newport waiting list, help

Post by vza »

Hello,

I have been told by the council that My DD is 3rd on the Newport’s waiting list.

Does anyone know (specially KenR):
1- Does DD have a good chance of an offered a place and what is the time line for this?
2- If no offer from the waiting list, what are my chances at the appeal process? DD is doing very well at her school (level 5As) with math and NVR being her strong subjects but not English.

Any advice would be thankfully received.

Kind regards,
V. Zandian
hermanmunster

Re: Newport waiting list, help

Post by hermanmunster »

I think that there will be some movement as a few of the girls may be planning to move or go to Indies.

I know the school is small and so there may not be much movement so it is probably a case of keeping fingers crossed.
lex

Post by lex »

It is ok to appeal but you have to have grounds ,consider what your grounds would be. Sadly being so close are not grounds for appeal. If you are third on a waiting list you would be very unlucky to not get a place. Good luck I hope it works out for you
vza

Post by vza »

Thank you for your reply.

Kind regards
V. Zandian
vza

Post by vza »

Hello Lex,

Thanks for your comments.

I have to consider an appeal only and if the waiting list outcome is not successful. But, do you know the time line before we hear from the waiting list?

kind regards
V. Zandian
vza

Post by vza »

Hello hermanmunster

Thanks for your reply.
Fingers are crossed, but do you know the time line before I hear from the waiting list?

Kind regards
V. Zandian
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi

I'm afraid I don't know much about Newport but for most authorities 3rd on the waiting list is quite high and you might normally expect there to be a reasonable chance. It probably all hinges on how many offers over the schools PAN (published max year intake) the school made offers to. Schools make offers over PAN because they know that some offers will not be taken up for various reasons (independent school offers etc). The waiting list only kicks in after the school has received offer rejections which brings them back to the PAN limit

What you need to do is phone up the LEA and ask 4 things:-

1. How many offers over PAN did the school and the LEA make.
2. How does this compare with previous years.
3. What movement in the waiting list has occured in previous years. viz. how many Net rejections.
4. Ask for details of the Appeals process and the statiistics of how many appeasl were successful in previous years.
vza

Post by vza »

Hello Ken,

Thank you for your comments.

Regards
V.Zandian