hansworth grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kauser123

hansworth grammar

Post by kauser123 »

hi , slightly confused new to the forum is the rank score for handsworth grammar the actual score attained. have
Farooq

Re: hansworth grammar

Post by Farooq »

Hi Kausar

Not exactly sure myself - However, from what I have read around the forums etc the rank score may be the position overall. The test for Handsworth Grammar is divided into verbal, English (short written composition) and maths. From what the official literature says, I think they go on more the verbal score than than the maths. But please, don't take this as gospel truth - I may well be wrong.

Hope it helps. Are you preparing for your son for the 2012 test?
best regards

Farooq

(In the field of observation, chance favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur)
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Hello

Farouq, before the November 2011 exam what you said about the scoring system was applicable. But the November exam we just sat still had the three elements (VR, maths, writing) but all were taken into equal consideration. This will be the case from now on.

Kauser123, your results letter will give you three sets of standardised scores that are added together. The letter also gives you your childs rank against all the others who sat the exam. There were about 1000 applicants for the 130 or so places and the letter states that this year they offered places up until the 385th ranked candidate. That means that there were about 230 of those candidates who qualified but were offered a higher preference. Therefore, the score and rank are two different numbers.

I hope that helps you understand the scores.
UmSusu
twinsmom11

Post by twinsmom11 »

Hi

Found this bit of information on their website if it helps.

A. Children have been put in order of performance and the rank gives their position. If the boy’s rank is between 1 and 289, they must have been given a place at a School higher on the preference form.

B. If the boy is ranked between 289 and 388 he will be on our waiting list.

C. If the boy is ranked between 389 and 900, then he has not reached a standard suitable for entry.

So my DS2 who got a rank of 314 (score 303) was declined a place at HGS but he will be placed in the waiting list (not sure of the timeline when he can be offered a place :roll: )
Farooq

Post by Farooq »

Thanks very much for the information - does this mean that any candidate who was ranked between between 1-289 technically passed and offered a place IF they had Handsworth as their 1st preference?
best regards

Farooq

(In the field of observation, chance favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur)
kauser123

Post by kauser123 »

thank you for your replies much appreciated kauser123
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now