Visiting and Choosing - Indie v Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Turtlegirl

Visiting and Choosing - Indie v Grammar

Post by Turtlegirl »

Our daughter has offers for EHS and KE Handsworth and now we have to make a choice! We're going to arrange visits - but I'm away from Monday afternoon to Thursday and we need to let EHS know by next Friday.

Anyone had visiting /choosing experience and can give any hints or tips? At the mo I'm waiting for her primary school to ring me back as she'd be heartbroken if a school visit affected her 100% attendance record! Would you make a choice without your child visiting?

We really want to make the right choice of school for her rather being swayed by cost or extra holidays!
BaccHus25

Re: Visiting and Choosing - Indie v Grammar

Post by BaccHus25 »

Hi Turtlegirl,

The best thing to do for you is to ask your DD - where she would be most comfortable and if she's not sure then visit both school again.

We asked our DS the same question few times and answer was same each time.

Best of Luck.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Trouble is - so far she's undecided! Currently waiting for the schools to call me back. Primary school will mark her as 'educated offsite' for visits, so at least she can go without losing her attendance :)
try

Post by try »

And in our case, any thoughts: five ways vs EHS? Two very different schools!
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

We're off to EHS this afternoon & KE Handsworth on Monday morning to help our thinking. Will be good to see KE H'worth without a billion other people looking!

try - that's a big difference! She'll be in a minority at 5ways - I think they have quite a few more boys than girls. How will that go down with her?
try

Post by try »

Hi turtlegirl
What did you decide? We are still debating...
CaptainCaveman

Post by CaptainCaveman »

Deleted
Last edited by CaptainCaveman on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poppit

Post by poppit »

The ratio of girls to boys due to join the 2012 Y7 intake for Five Ways is roughly 1:2, so the girls are a sizeable minority. In the sixth form it is roughly 1:1 (apparently quite a few girls who have been in single sex schools decide to go to Five Ways for the sixth form).
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

We've decided for Handsworth after visiting both. EHS is further away from us, so that was a factor. The leavers' destinations show that KEH'worth is undoubtedly a more academic school, although it lacks some of the lovely facilities of EHS. EHS is definitely more sporty (5 periods a week v 5 a fortnight at KEHworth) but that means the girls stay for an extra period on three days a week. Later return times from school were another minus for us for EHS.

I think we were finally swung by meeting Mrs Wager, the current deputy at Handsworth, who will be head in September. She is very impressive - a bit of a change from Dr Insch, but extremely able and with a strong vision for the school. Oh, and a good pal in my daughter's year at school also has a place at Rose Hill, so that helped her to agree with our decision!
CaptainCaveman

Post by CaptainCaveman »

Deleted