New Consortium-Newport, Walsall and Wolverhampton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Professor Yaffle

Re: New Consortium-Newport, Walsall and Wolverhampton

Post by Professor Yaffle »

Thank you Mike for adding the link :D

Congratulations v.zandian on your DDs place at NGHS, I think I remember reading earlier in the month that she was on the waiting list :D I agree that adding another class from September will make the school a viable option for many more out of area DDs than is the case now.

Out of interest, does anyone know if there has been any movement in the waiting list for Adams' yet? Or how many got places from the waiting list in previous years?
AliceM

Post by AliceM »

I too would be interested in AGS info as there seems to be nothing on these forums re this particular grammar. My DS is due to sit the AGS test in Sept. this year and whilst we know all the info gleaned from both here and the AGS website there are never any details about test scores, waiting lists etc. does anyone know why this is?

Like others we are having our DS tutored to help familiarise him with what to expect. I have been browsing these forums for some months now and felt it was the right time to post and also say thank you to everyone for the very useful and helpful info. Thank goodness for those who post about all the other grammars particularly those from Brum and surrounding area. :D
vza

Post by vza »

Thank you Professor Yaffle.

DD is very pleased that she is going to Newport, instead of Wolverhampton.

I have some actual info on test scores for Newport, I will post it separately.
Professor Yaffle

AliceM-I searched high and low for information on the type of passmark required for AGS over the past year with no luck. I'm not sure whether this information is actually released to parents-the letters offering places certainly don't include score achieved or ranking and I'm not sure whether waiting list letters do either other than to say that the child scored highly. Perhaps this will all become more transparent from October once the test results are issued prior to applications.
vza

Post by vza »

AliceM,

I guess that about 600 candidates sat the test last November. The test was CEM and I believe the same paper was used the next day for Newport exam.

Twin boys, whom I know their parents, took the test last November and the boys are on the waiting list for Adams' (1st preference). The boys also took the Birmingham consortium test and both were offered a place at KE Five Ways- pass mark for Five Ways is reported here to be 225. Does this means the pass mark for Adams' was higher than 225!?

Last year when I was researching Newport for DD, I managed to obtain some information from the Telford Council ( Ms. Bridget Pocock, Tel: 01952 385000). Perhaps she is able to give you some information, but you may have to mention, as I did, The Freedom Of Information Act.

Hope you find the above info useful.
Last edited by vza on Mon May 21, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AliceM

Post by AliceM »

Thank you v.zandian and Professor Yaffle for trying to get any info for me - much appreciated.

After the Easter hols I will ring the council to see if they have any details - if I do I will post! :D

V.zandian, do you know if the Birmingham consortium test is also CEM? That does seem strange/scary that they would be offered a place at KE but still be on the waiting list at Adams!! Just out of interest do you know the twins position on the waiting list? By the way - well done to your DD. :D

Professor Yaffle, I didn't think they would give a mark in October only a 'your son/daughter is grammar school ability' response? It would be good if you could get a mark as I presume if they did pass but weren't offered a place in March you could at least ring to find out how far off you child was?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

AliceM wrote: V.zandian, do you know if the Birmingham consortium test is also CEM? That does seem strange/scary that they would be offered a place at KE but still be on the waiting list at Adams!! Just out of interest do you know the twins position on the waiting list? By the way - well done to your DD. :D

Kids can just have a good / bad day and get a place / scholarship / totally rejected from one school but not another.

Hopefully the kids in question get the nearest school as Adams an Five Ways are nearly 40 miles (by road) apart!
vza

Post by vza »

AliceM,

The Birmingham consortium and Adams' both use CEM test, but there may be a difference in how they standardise the test results.

With respect to the minimum score to get a place at Adams’, it is the numbers: how many candidates, how many places available and how many who gain places at Adams' also gain places at other schools with higher preferences. For Newport the last offer was made at score of 338 (113) rank 42/220, similar to KE Camp Hills (girls) and KE Five Ways scores.

The twins, like us, live in North Staffordshire and it is very difficult for them to go to Five Ways unless moving house. Hence, Adams' was their 1st preference which it is about 23 miles away. We had the same problem when DD got a place at Wolverhampton (second preference) which we accepted. However, by 9th of March, she was offered a place at Newport as well (first preference) and surprisingly and with joy, we had a choice of two grammar schools.

I will contact the twins’ parents after the Easter break and if they give me the information I will post it on the forum.
Professor Yaffle

Thanks v.zandian, I would be interested in an update if you are able to find out any more information. :)
AliceM

Post by AliceM »

Hi very quick update:

Phoned T&Wrekin council who advised that they don't hold any information re AGS since it changed to Academy status last year, however what they did say, (a lot of you may already be aware of this), is that the letter sent mid October to those who have sat the test will confirm 1/ if grammar school ability, 2/ borderline or 3/ not grammar school ability. If option 2 or 3 then the childs mark will also be given. If option 1 it will NOT.

I did ring the school to ask for details of pass mark etc. and was told that there is no pass mark: spaces are allocated based on the rank order of the marks achieved. They confirmed that 357 sat the test for AGS last November. :?

Hope this information is of some use?