New Consortium-Newport, Walsall and Wolverhampton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vza

Re: New Consortium-Newport, Walsall and Wolverhampton

Post by vza »

Hi AliceM,

It seems 357 suggest the number of applicants with AGS as 1st preference, not necessary the total number of applicants. From your conversation with the school, was 357 the total number of applicants or 1st preference applicants?

For the previous, the figures given by the council (secondary school information booklets) for the number of candidates with AGS as 1st preference are:
2009 intake, 327 applicants + 12 for boarding
2010 intake, 300 applicants + 6 for boarding
2011 intake, 302 applicants + 10 for boarding

However, if 357 children took the test last November for 90 available places, then the last offer ( or pass mark) was made to the applicant with age-standardised score of about 110 ( or 330 combined score for Eng/VR, Numerical R and NVR).

Hope you find this useful.
Professor Yaffle

Post by Professor Yaffle »

Many thanks AliceM for taking the time to update us. It is interesting to hear about the October results letter. I for one am glad they will be introducing this as I don't think I could take another long agonizing wait for March 1st when my next DC goes through it all. Any information has got to be better than that. Although there is no 'pass mark' as such surely the school will have data for the last scores admitted over the years?

My DS was one of the boys sitting the test last November. I didn't go along on the test day as I was more nervous than my DS :lol: but my DH said that there were only 'a few hundred' boys there not the 500-600 I had imagined, although how reliable that estimate is I don't know and of course, some boys may have taken a later test for various reasons.

Don't suppose anyone has anymore information on waiting lists for AGS?? My DS was lucky enough to be offered a place starting September but has a friend still hoping.
vza

Post by vza »

Code: Select all

Twin boys, whom I know their parents, took the test last November and the boys are on the waiting list for Adams' .
Update,

I finally managed to speak to the mother of the twins and they were offered only boarding at AGS, which they decline. Furthermore, I spoke to the registrar at AGS and she said, “About 370 to 450 normally take the test"- not 600 that I previously thought.

Hope this is useful.

regards.
Professor Yaffle

Thanks vza. I also know of a boy offered a boarding place which was also turned down. I didn't realise that they did that, but presumably boarding is undersubscribed. Obviously it's not an option for everyone, not only financially but emotionally.

Wishing good luck to your friends' children in getting a place from the waiting list.
Professor Yaffle

The head at NGHS suggested at their open evening this week that the October results letter will take two forms: 1) that your child is placed within the available numbers at the school or 2) will give their rank order plus an idea of how far down the ranking previous years admissions have gone so you can assess likelihood of a place being offered. I'm not sure if this is the same for all of the schools in the consortium.
AliceM

Post by AliceM »

Thanks for posting that Professor Yaffle.

Despite my earlier post I am totally confused about the letter in October!!.... :lol:

After attending the AGS open week last week the Headmaster seemed to suggest that we might get to find out where our DS's are in the ranked
order, however I doubt that could be the case? For example if your DS was say in the top 50 and had put the school as 1st preference then you
could be pretty sure that your DS had a place. T&Wrekin say that you still won't know if you have a place until March 2013. May be I am missing something here.....? Or maybe the schools in the consortium aren't sure yet what they can or can't say in this letter.

Has anyone else got any more information or a different view after attending the open days at either NGHS/AGS.
Professor Yaffle

I suspect nobody will know this information with any certainty until the letters are issued in October, so please come back and update us :)

Based on what I heard at NGHS you would find out your child's rank order only if they were outside of the PAN for the school (not sure if this is specific to this school). So that if you get a letter which states that your child's rank order in the test is placed within the published PAN of the school and it is your first preference then I think you can be pretty sure a place will be offered-although this won't be confirmed officially until the LEA offers places in March. For everyone else there will be much more uncertainty. However the nearer your child's ranking is to the PAN the more likely the chance of a place.
AliceM

Post by AliceM »

Thanks again Professor Yaffle for posting. Yes I agree it will be wait and see until October. :(

In the meantime, if there is anyone else out there with more information then please share!! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now