Tutor in Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

Re: Tutor in Birmingham

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi DIYMum, :D

I understand um’s concern for a ‘homogeneous’ group for 11+ tuition. She was referring to this testing particularly for group tuition
um wrote: particularly if your child is joining a group.

The fact that a child is tested and rejected as a consequence of his poor results at a test before taking part in a ‘group 11+ tuition’ doesn’t mean he can’t succeed in 11+! It just means that he can’t be part of this group as he will slow it down.

In fact, when my child was tutored in a group prior to his 11+, I had this kind of worry as two boys there were very slow to understand anything and they were holding the group back. As a parent, I felt relieved when after two months, they were no more here: I don’t know what happened to them though. Did their parents just think that the 11+ route was not for them? Did the tutor have a word with the parents, explaining to them that their child could no longer be part of the group but that she could offer them one-to-one tuition?
I do believe that tutors having groups do have from time to time to take this uncomfortable step of removing some children of the group when it is too apparent that they are hindering the progress of others.

On the other hand, I do not agree with tutors working on a one-to-one basis and who rejects some children based on their poor performances!!! They should take up the job while explaining very diplomatically to the parents (and away for the little one’s ears!) that at this stage there is a big probability that the child won’t succeed but that he/she (=tutor) will do his/her best to help him/her (=pupil) to flourish! Unfortunately, some tutors will turn down these children because of the pass rate some parents ask them. That’s why I am not really in favour for asking any pass rate to a potential tutor; I would rather ask : ‘do you reject children who you think are not working at the right level?’ and ‘how do you push the children ‘mastering the foundations’ further’?

I am sure that some of the children who didn’t succeed in the 11+ failed, not because of their lack of intelligence, but because of the factors you mentioned: poor schooling, turbulent life-style / family problems and bright children from impoverished areas (is the latter not linked with the first one?). Certainly, for these, a one-to-one tuition is the right answer (it could of course be DIYing!!)... or a group tuition with children of a similar level but the their tutor will really need to know how to guide them properly in order to catch up !

Sorry, I feel my English is extremely torturous this morning, seems that my coffee has not been strong enough!!! :lol: :lol: I hope you can understand me! :oops:
um

Post by um »

'Assessment' for many good tutors will not just involve a test given to the child, but gaining an understanding of the level of support a child has at home and - crucially - their potential for improvement.

Tutoring a group where one child is at a significantly lower level than the others is not just unfair for the 'faster' children whose progress is inevitably slowed, it is grossly unfair on the 'slower' child who will almost certainly feel unhappy and take a knock to their confidence and esteem.

I agree that tutors should not turn someone away because of the need to maintain their 'pass rate', but even with a 1-1 arrangement, I feel that the tutor is entitled to explain what they can/cannot do and where their area of expertise lies.
They may be experienced and adept and pulling bright children up to 11 Plus pass level, but have little experience and training, in, for example, dyslexia or SEN.

I have seen children working significantly below national average, often on 'bottom' tables at their school (a horrible term, I know), and who are subject to some form of IEP due to described special educational needs and their parents are still talking about bus routes to Camp Hill. The parents spend a fortune on unscrupulous tutors - their child inevitably falls significantly short of the score required (and has to deal with that 'failure' emotionally), and their time would have been far better spent, not completing 11 Plus practice papers, but receiving genuinely tailored support for their needs, related to the National Curriculum.
To take on a child at this level for 11 Plus tuition is, I maintain, unethical. To take them on to improve their educational standard and ensure rapid progress is great. But to admit, as a tutor, that you don't have the experience/material/training to help a particular child, and they should look for someone who does, is completely fair.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Yes, we do need to keep a perspective but I'm sure glad my dd2's tutor didn't play the 'unethical' card with her (and she's an exceptional tutor). Dd2 still lags behind her peers but she has moved on from an 'unlikely to pass' candidate to a possible pass.

I still like to think that there is a genius in all of us

To JE,

Poor schooling doesn't necessarily equate with bright children from impoverished backgrounds. I used to work in a 'satisfactory' school in Solihull where in my class, there was 1 G&T pupil and 1 SEN. I now work in a better school, in a very impoverished area and in this class, I have 1 G&T and 6 on the school's IEP.
Schooling makes a difference, but from my limited experience, a g&t in a badly managed school (but not in a rundown area) still seems to do better than a g&t in a better performing school from an impoverished area.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thanks for your explanations, DIY :D I understand better your former comment now :D
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to all of you who sent pm s about finding a tutor. We have found someone who seems ideal and is nearby :D .

The tips about the kind of things to look for were really helpful too. Hopefully, it will work out well for them - otherwise I get the feeling my friend will start dropping some not-so-subtle hints about me tutoring her child again!

UmSusu
UmSusu
Mradam

Post by Mradam »

If anyone has any recommendations for tutors they have used in the Birmingham area and kind enough to share I would be extremely grateful you can PM me.

- my son will be starting Y4in Sep and we are looking for entry into KE Camp Hill or King Edwards (Ind) schools. I'm new on here so will most greatful for the help you can give me.
busybees

Post by busybees »

Hi

can someone please recommend me a tutor specially if you have used them for both maths and english in Birmingham. My friends daughter is in year 4 at the moment and she really needs to find a tutor. Please i would really appreciate your response.

Many Thanks
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

it can be a difficult situation trying to resist a friends request to tutor their child based on success one may have had with one's own child. The translation of success form ones child to another perdsons can be difficult and if the results do not meet expectations then relationships can suffer.

I have often thought about doing this, but need a couple of years gap before I embark upon this.

Rewards must outweight any negatives to this nevertheless.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Paramjeet wrote:it can be a difficult situation trying to resist a friends request to tutor their child based on success one may have had with one's own child. The translation of success form ones child to another perdsons can be difficult and if the results do not meet expectations then relationships can suffer.
Hello Paramjeet, good to hear from you again :D

Your warning is very fair - it is precisely the reason I wanted to help my friend find a tutor - I am happy to offer advice and offer any resources and time at my disposal to help anyone I know going through the process, but paid tutoring for the 11+ is a big responsibility and requires more planning and preparing hours than actual teaching hours! I have had several other parents hint they would like me to tutor their child, but the idea of trying to give a realistic assessment to a friend about their child's abilities without offending and the possibility of facing disappointed parents is more than enough to scare me away :shock:

UmSusu
UmSusu
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

busybees wrote:Hi

can someone please recommend me a tutor specially if you have used them for both maths and english in Birmingham. My friends daughter is in year 4 at the moment and she really needs to find a tutor. Please i would really appreciate your response.

Many Thanks
Busybees, I have sent you a pm.

UmSusu
UmSusu
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now