A couple of questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
myw1

A couple of questions

Post by myw1 »

Hi, I am new to this forum and would be grateful if someone could help me with a couple of questions about Birmingham GS test.

Has VR been removed completely from the test or is it likely to come back one year?

For the read comprehension, is there any given time for reading first and then moved onto timed multiple choice questions or the time is lumped together for both reading and answering and children control the time themselves?

Do they have to mark all the answers in separate answer sheets? i.e. the Letts MC pack where there are answer sheets and you have to mark __ in the very tiny box next to the correct answer which seems quite time consuming to me, compare with just draw a circle. What will be the case for Birmingham test?

Does anyone know where I can get the cloze book that is exactly the same type as in the tests (removing some letters from words). The one that I've got has all word at the top of each paragraph to choose from.

Many thanks
MSD

Re: A couple of questions

Post by MSD »

I will try to answer some of them..

Historically there hasn't been any traditional VR in the exam. The English elements that have appeared in the past 5 years are as follows:

Mutliple choice Comprehension
Multiple choice Synonyms
Mutliple choice Antonyms
Cloze with missing letters
Jumbled up words - Introduced last year
Proof reading exercise - This hasn't appeared recently

With comprehension I am pretty sure the time is lumped together for reading and answering.

There is a collection of George Moore Cloze books available. Although these are not exactly the same format as KE you can easily tailor the exercises to your own requirements.

I hope that helps.

MSD
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now