SATs, Year 6

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DenDe

Re: SATs, Year 6

Post by DenDe »

You've worried me now um. I don't even know when exam week is. What a terrible parent :(
um

Post by um »

It is usually after half-term. We are certainly not doing anything at the moment...
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I wouldn't have had a clue either in Y7 (I seem to remember Master 1880 only thought to mention them at the end of the first week, you can imagine how well he did that year :roll: ). The dates are actually on the school calendar thing (on the web site) but you have to plough through about 50 pages of rugby fixtures to find it. Um, you've probably had a letter about it because Y8 and 9 have swapped dates. Yours are June 11th.

Mike
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Thanks Mike and Um. It looks like the first week back after half term for Yr 7, so plenty of time :wink:
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

Good to see most of the 11+ crew are back! Anyway just like to know why most of the perants are not worried about the sats next week, is it because you have GS places for your children, if so i dont blame you but for us perants who lost out its our only chance for them to achieve level 5s so they can have a shot at the 12+.
Its just as stressful as the 11+.
2 children in my ds class have been put forward for the level 6 tests they were at the same level as my ds, is it better for him to concentrate on getting level 5 or to do the level 6 and know he will get a secure 5.
What im trying to say is apparently some perants are saying if they do the level 6 papers even if they score low they will get a secure level 5. Is this true or false
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

It is false.

The children will only take the year 6 paper if they have already got a level 5 in the level 3-5 papers.
daveg

Post by daveg »

khanj010 wrote:so they can have a shot at the 12+.
Birmingham does not has a 12+.

Rest deleted as original poster is apparently not in Birmingham (!)
Last edited by daveg on Thu May 10, 2012 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
daveg

Post by daveg »

yoyo123 wrote:It is false.

The children will only take the year 6 paper if they have already got a level 5 in the level 3-5 papers.
And the Level 6 marking scheme only has two outcomes, "Level 6" and "Below Level 6". That is all. See here. The child has to get a level 5 on the level 3-5 paper in order to obtain a level 5.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

daveg wrote:
khanj010 wrote:so they can have a shot at the 12+.
Birmingham does not has a 12+. There is in-year admission. In-year admission makes no use of KS2 SATs results.
Entirely true, but iirc the poster is from Bucks where there is a 12+, but I understand you have to get level 5s to qualify to take it.

Mike
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

I have enjoyed reading this thread and have to agree that I am not overly concerned what grade my DS finishes primary school with. He is sitting the Level 6 Maths paper and will achieve this comfortably. I have done no extra work at home with him as he has a GS place in September. I think if he was going to a comprehensive who do stream the students in Year 7 according to their SATs results, then I would not be so laid back about the SATs tests.

Although, I do know that the local comp sit CAT tests early on in Year 7 and the students are reorganised if needed. Some of the local primary schools can mark the SATs quite favourably :wink:

I think Guest55 has a valid point about the Level 6 SATs tests. My DS has informed me that 9 students at his primary school are expected to get a Level 6 in Maths. These students are not in the top set for Maths and have been taught to get a Level 6 rather than taught the whole curriculum for Level 6.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now