Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:59 am 
Which is the best school in B'hm/Solihull, and likewise which is the worst.

KEHS Best and ....?

Post subject: schools...
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:31 pm 
This is not really an entirely sensible question

There are a number of very good schools in the area. Which one is the "best" depends on how you are measuring - absolute results, extra-curricular activities, "value added", sports, music, attractive buildings and grounds, local community involvement.... I'm sure KEHS achieves excellent exam results and offers its pupils a wonderful experience - if you can afford it! Likewise the KE grammars achieve very highly - if your child gets in and can travel there conveniently. But that doesn't mean it is necessarily the "best" school for an individual child, or that children attending all the other schools are dooomed to be failures. There are several good comprehensives in Solihull where a good number of individual children score very highly on GCSE results without being made to feel like "boffins" and are able to walk home from school with their local friends - that was "best" for my children aged 11-16. Now at 6th form my middle son is lucky enough to be able to attend one of the KE grammar schools regarded by many as the "best" - and is thriving. League tables are interesting and of course every school would like to come top - but as parents we cannot clone our children and send copies to every school to see which clone emerges with the most glittering prizes and the most well-adjusted personality - the perfect school might be on the other side of the country but not every child can go there!

Having said all that I have no idea which are the "worst" schools - there are no doubt schools in some areas doing a great job with some very challenging children but I am fortunate enough not to have to send my children there.

Most parents will only ever have direct experience of a handful of schools at most so cannot really make a judgement other than by reputation: "the best" is probably unnattainable: "good enough" will have to do