Handsworth Grammar school exam dates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

reeyah

Re: Handsworth Grammar school exam dates

Post by reeyah »

Thanks Mike and Um :)

How lucky these parents are! Gosh we suffered .... Knowing the mark before applying seems like a luxury :wink:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It'll be a luxury if it means you know "definitely yes", a nightmare if it means you know "definitely no" and have no good alternative. And you only have to look at the Gloucs forum (where they've always known the result before applying) to see that a lot of people will be "in limbo" - borderline, either for their first preference or for any GS at all, and still not knowing for sure until 1st March.

Mike
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Definitely not a luxury... :lol: :o

This forum lists the last seven years of qualifying results for KEG and I don't feel that having dd's score in mid October will be anymore illuminating.
Yes, if they gave us the qualifying score for their cohort, it would be a different matter. :D
But I think it's rather cheeky of them not to disclose this information until CAF forms are filled and gleaned...and even more so, maddening that we'll continue to speculate until March 1st.
daveg

Post by daveg »

DIY Mum wrote:
But I think it's rather cheeky of them not to disclose this information until CAF forms are filled and gleaned...

It's not possible to calculate the admission score until the CAF forms are processed.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Yes, that's true. But the process is still misleading for most dp.

What will dps do if their dc fall a little short of last year's qualifying score? Put the school down or disregard it? It is an agonising situation to be in until March 1st.
KenR

Post by KenR »

The admissions score for each of the KE schools are actually set by individuals Heads based on analysis the CAF entries - schools always over offer against the PAN - some more than others
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

DIY Mum wrote:Yes, that's true. But the process is still misleading for most dp.

What will dps do if their dc fall a little short of last year's qualifying score? Put the school down or disregard it? It is an agonising situation to be in until March 1st.

DIY mum, why would anyone disregard it? It wouldn't really make a difference if you put the Grammar School your DC is borderline for above the local comp? You would still get the comp if you didn't gain the Grammar place.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

mashk wrote:Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has applied for the 11+ entrance exam for this school. I understand that Handsworth Grammar have their own entry test, in comparison to other grammar schools in the area who all use the same test.

Anyway, I was just wondering when we'd hear about an examination date. We received confirmation from King Edwards pretty much straight away.

Back to OP: the Handsworth letter with the exam date arrived today.
UmSusu