Desperate for help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Redbill

Desperate for help

Post by Redbill »

Hi, my dd has applied for wghs exam, and has been working hard for last few months, with help of her tutor. She has done a few past papers, ie bond, and her scores were generally quite good, 80-90%. She recently sat a mock exam for the first time, and her result was a shock to us all, including her tutor, at just 60%.
This has sent us all into panic mode, as she will be amongst over 700 girls fighting for just 108 places. I was wondering if anybody had any tips at this late stage, ie cem equivalent papers, other mock exams or online tests.
All your advice would be most gratefully appreciated.
Mindset

Re: Desperate for help

Post by Mindset »

I wonder, did you get the paper back after the mock? Can anything be learned from it (timing issues/ a type of question that stumped her etc?) I'd imagine this would be the most useful place to concentrate. I'd expect a drop in form in a mock though, the pressure is different and there will be distractions. You can't recreate it at home completely, but you could create distraction/ mock up a race or similar as she tries papers? Sorry if this is all ridiculously obvious! M
rayla

Post by rayla »

Hello Redbill. What type of exam was it. Did it cover all the subject ie VR, NVR English and maths. How much time did they have. I'm thinking if timing could be an issue. Did you get to see the paper yourself. My DD has a mock exam for maths only this Saturday. But I only want her to experience and deal with exam nerves and exam environment which no child can truly experience at home. I wouldn't worry too much about that 60% just ask if there are areas he/she is not sure about that came in the exam n polish up those areas. She could have had exam nerves which is probably best to experience in mock than real exam I think. Hope it makes sense. Just trying to look on bright side I think. Good luck.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Whose mock was it? It's possible that the questions were actually (intentionally) set a bit harder than the ususal practise papers - that way the real thing doesn't come as a shock. Also possible that if your tutor has been concentrating on the CEM content with here there will be elements of VR and English (if those were included) on a generic mock which she hasn't been working on, but you needn't worry about much as they're not a big part of the CEM style exams. And it's fairly well recorded that performance tends to improve on subsequent occasions, so if nothing else you'll have got some of the exam nerves out of the way and got her used to the exam environment.
Redbill

Post by Redbill »

Hi, it was the exam set by 11 plus diy, and included all 4 aspects, ie vr nvr maths english, over 2 hours. I'm thinking of entering my dd in another exam by the same company, on 1/9/2012, and see if she fares any better. Trying our best not to let it knock her confidence, but its not easy.
Dave1879

Post by Dave1879 »

Hi RedBill
My DD did an exam set by this company some time back & was told that it's not necessarily the mark that is important but the positioning in that cohort.
Anyhow, a number of mocks suggest a mark of 60% would give a child a good chance of geting through.
It might be an idea to get a report from 11+ DIY & see where your DC weakness may lie & work on those in what little time is left.
All the best
Dave
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Redbill wrote:Hi, my dd has applied for wghs exam, and has been working hard for last few months, with help of her tutor. She has done a few past papers, ie bond, and her scores were generally quite good, 80-90%. She recently sat a mock exam for the first time, and her result was a shock to us all, including her tutor, at just 60%.
This has sent us all into panic mode, as she will be amongst over 700 girls fighting for just 108 places. I was wondering if anybody had any tips at this late stage, ie cem equivalent papers, other mock exams or online tests.
All your advice would be most gratefully appreciated.

Hi,

Firstly, don't panic. The formal exam setting itself is enough to knock off quite a few marks - after all that is the point of doing the mock : so that they have a chance to adjust themselves to the pressure and speed.

Secondly, if the mock was based on CEM style content , then it is perfectly understandable that the marks would be lower than the more traditional papers that your child has been practising as the content of the maths and English is more challenging in the CEM style exams. You would have to check what the layout was with them, where your child ranked in comparison to others and whether they have any data about the scores of previous year's candidates and how they did in the real exam. If it is CEM style content ( see sticky at the top of the forum) then 60% is not a bad score. If the layout is the more traditional VR , maths and English then the mock itself is of limited value other than practice of exam setting and I would not bother with a second sitting.

Thirdly, use the breakdown of the results to assess particular areas of weakness : I found that although DS was getting 90 plus in Bond NVR, he did not cope well with the different types of papers and only scored 50% in his section - so I have varied the paper sources since.

With such a limited time left until the exam, I would suggest practice vocabulary games (freerice etc), look at nvr question types from different sources rather than whole papers and do some of the independent school sample papers that can be downloaded looking out for any areas of weakness to address.

It is tempting to get children to do endless assessment papers at this stage, but it is more beneficial to do fewer and go over them with the child very carefully.

I get in whizz about mock results every time with my own children. However, what I have learned is that you still can't use them to predict future outcomes with any degree of accuracy other than whether they a decent chance or are way out - there are very few who can take the results and feel secure about 'passing' - even then they would worry about whether it is enough to get the school they want. It is better just to use them to address weaknesses.

It is up to you but I am not sure there is any point in another mock unless the main issue is nerves.

UmSusu
UmSusu
Dave1879

Post by Dave1879 »

Hi RedBill
I forgot to mention that although I understand you may be 'shocked' at the mock results, PLEASE, whatever you do, don't show your disappointment to your DC.
These last few weeks should all be about praising you DC to the 'max' and showing confidence in their ability.
We should all conceal any negative feelings. In some respect there is only so much we can do at this 'stage in the game.'
So keep positive & good luck!
Redbill

Post by Redbill »

hi guys, thanks for all your comments, starting to feel now that there is still hope. i guess it becomes so self consuming with the different types of papers, websites, books etc. that it just sends your mind into a spin. its actually quite easy to forget the effect its actually having on your dc while your downloading endless tests and papers, for them to practice.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

If I may be allowed to use tha analogy of one taking ones own blood pressure at home; take readings 10 times and guaranteed every single one will be different to the other. Which one do you believe.

Work hard, do your best and leave the rest to the system..Best of luck