VR question types

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yasminahmad

VR question types

Post by yasminahmad »

Hi

Bit concerned about the verbal reasoning for the CEM exams.
A lot of info regarding antonyms/synonyms
But what about all the other question styles that traditionally appear in the GL papers
Will these be on the CEM paper or are we wasting time practising them?

Any info would help

Thanks!

Yasmin
UmSusu

Re: VR question types

Post by UmSusu »

Hello Yasmin

Well in a way, yes you are wasting your time at this point because the traditional types will not come up in the consortium CEM exams. However, at least 4 or 5 of the types are vocabulary-based and would have been of some help : so dont feel they were a complete a waste of time. Unless of course, you are applying for Handsworth Boys or are planning the Indie exams in January.

Either way, don't bother with it for now and concentrate on the synonyms and antonyms. Try the http://www.freerice.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website and you can google lists too. Also, have a look at the words from previous years listed in the sticky post at the top of forum.
If you are in Birmingham then it seems that the synonyms and antonyms will not be multiple choice this year but will have missing letters from the second word (see your sample sheet). So spelling is important too : if this is a weakness then it might be late to do a crash course in spelling but at least remind your child to sound out the syllables when they are spelling.

And of course, if it doesn't fit the gaps then then it is the CHILD who has the wrong word/spelling not 'the stupid paper' that put the wrong number of gaps ( although I think that might just only be my DS who reacts like that :roll: ).
UmSusu
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

UmSusu wrote:And of course, if it doesn't fit the gaps then then it is the CHILD who has the wrong word/spelling not 'the stupid paper' that put the wrong number of gaps ( although I think that might just only be my DS who reacts like that :roll: ).
I have to tell ds that too! Although to be fair we have found enough errors on published questions for him to believe that it is possible that the questions could be wrong. He still needs to be reminded that there have been far fewer of those than the ones where he's just spelling it wrong so probability suggests its most likely the paper which is right and his answer which is wrong!
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Also recommended for synonym work is the Synonym Toast game http://www.scholastic.com/wordgirl/synonym_toast.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - quite fun :)
yasminahmad

Post by yasminahmad »

Thank you all so much for your help.

We have been concentrating more on vocab recently and the websites suggested will be very useful

Thank you :)