The Royal school not a Free school now before 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
onebigdilemma

The Royal school not a Free school now before 2016

Post by onebigdilemma »

Their website now states changeover not until September 2016. I have heard of people who put their children in for the last couple of terms to secure a Year 7 place....now have a years fees to find!!
Wolves mum

Re: The Royal school not a Free school now before 2016

Post by Wolves mum »

i'm sure they will let them get away with not paying from sept as im sure a lot of people are joining after easter and only expecting to pay one set of fees at 3300 (approx) and now would have to find over 13000for summer term until sept 2016. I don't know how they can expect people to find that kind of money.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

But then how will they fund the school. It has gone free due to financial issues and won't have any DfE funds until it is free in 2016.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

How will people find that kind of money if;
a. they haven't budgeted for it
b.if they don't want to pay for schooling?

If Labour win will the Royal still get the go ahead?
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

They should at least have considered the "what if" which has now materialised.

If Labour get in......I'll turn the light off :lol: Mods - just a joke.

Just need to get football into a response now then I have covered all bases :twisted:
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

I do think that the people who were "sneaky" enough to enrol their child in the last 6 months to gain a place when it becomes a Free school must have been aware it was not a 100% sure thing. They were lucky to have the money to try this strategy to get a place but unfortunately it hasn't gone to plan.
I am not sure how they can allow these people to attend free for the next 12 months when others will be paying.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

i didn't want to sound mean but part of me did think "ha,ha!" serves them right for trying to be clever.

It does coincide with what I saw on the open day; a very disorganised organisation. They should have planned properly instead of trying to squeeze the last bit of extra money by opening extra classes and asking parents to join on a fee paying basis for the summer term.

They opened extra classes of 25 pupils making year groups into 2 form entry and It was 100 pounds just to apply for a place.

Somehow i think they are more driven by money than providing accessible education for all of Wolverhampton.
um

Post by um »

Judging by today's BBC debate, if the government changes, then the funding for free schools may be halted even if it is in progress...
FunkyMonkey

Post by FunkyMonkey »

Wolvesmum, I have wished you well in the past, so feel it is justified for me to say that you come across as very mean in your attitude towards those parents that are willing to pay in the short term to give their kids a better chance in life.

They are not trying to be clever, but trying a strategy to get to an end goal, much like the tens of thousands of people that do 11 plus revision with a view to getting into priviliged state grammar schools.

I know a single parent that has sent both their two children there under these circumstances, and struggled to do so.

Yes, it was a risk, but a calculated one, and borne out of the desire to help their children.

P.S. I have no vested interest in the Royal.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Happy dad wrote:They should at least have considered the "what if" which has now materialised.

If Labour get in......I'll turn the light off :lol: Mods - just a joke.

Just need to get football into a response now then I have covered all bases :twisted:
You missed religion, useless teachers
and Hitler..

eta: that was not a challenge