Post Results Advice....Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
WalsallDad

Post Results Advice....Please

Post by WalsallDad »

Morning All,
After some advice about the CAF, my child sat the walsall QM and Wolverhampton School exam and recieved a letter of confirmation of results on saturday saying she will "get" a place if we put them down first on the CAF and recieved her KE foundation results yesterday. I think she did ok with a standardised score of 235 but am now confused as to wheather I should put KEH or SCGSG down as first and second and potentially risk the QM place. What are the chances of KEH or Sutton Girls raising the minimum entry score by upto 20 marks for this years entry? Any advice would be very much appreciated as weve not been through this process before.

Thankyou All.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Post Results Advice....Please

Post by DIY Mum »

How will QMH know if you don't put them down 1st? They honestly, won't.

They'll only know if you don't put them down at all on your CAF but NOT your order. QM/H are just trying to cream off the best students. No doubt your dd is one of these as she did very well in the KEG exam.

I seriously doubt that KEVIHS or SGS will jump 20 points. In fact, I am beginning to feel that the scoring system may fall down a little or stay the same.

This has been reiterated before...put down the school that you are most interested in for your child (and the rest in that order). You are one of the lucky ones who are spoilt for choice. :)
Last edited by DIY Mum on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
WalsallDad

Post by WalsallDad »

Thankyou for getting back to me DIY Mum, your help/advice is very appreciated.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DIY mum is exactly right .

QM are confusing people a little by saying that they will get a place if they put them first - yes they will, but they will also get a place if they put them second (or third) and aren't eligible for their first (or second ) choice.
WalsallDad

Post by WalsallDad »

Thankyou hermanmunster for your advice. That's quite reassuring to know, and less confusing and worrying than what the letters make out. You time and help is appreciated.
Bibbygunn

Post by Bibbygunn »

Some interesting points , my daughter didnt get in the top 114 at QM and so wasnt offered a direct place but got 229 in the Sutton Girls (her preference from the outset) so I would assume that as the previous 2 years were 207/210 that score should be enough.

It is confusing that QM are offering the certainty to those in the top 114 and I suspect that some girls will choose the 'safety' of a guaranteed place at QM over the 'uncertainty' at Sutton Girls/ KE even when their score should be sufficient. It seems to me that QM are trying to hoover up those girls that came in the top 114 with the carrot of a guaranteed place..it must be difficult for those girls that did well in both
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Some schools around the country tend to do that - some are offering special open days to the top whatever to tempt them in...

As it is all the kids can only go to one school so many of those top 114 will go somewhere else - best in the current circumstances to put you favourite school top and so on ...
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

QM have been completely underhand. At the open evening the Headmaster indicated that unless you put it down as first preference you would not get a place. this caused me to spend 20 minutes on the phone with Dudley LEA just to make sure I understand the process. I think they are concerned that lots of their brightest children from the test will go elsewhere.
MSD

Post by MSD »

I think we might be misunderstanding what the headmaster is saying. He is correct in saying that if you really want QM you must put it as your top choice. Because if you don't do this and put another school as your top preference and then achieve the qualifying score, you will be allocated that school.

MSD
josh sen

Post by josh sen »

First,those results are very good and most parents would be very happy for such results,I think It's wrong to be calling your DCs great result poor when parents are writing on here about DCs pain at not making the mark.

Second,what QM is doing is what some not so nice companies do ,they tell you the truth in a way that it sounds like something else..

But as mentioned you will not be penalised for not putting them first ..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now