Unlevel playing field

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
naivedad

Unlevel playing field

Post by naivedad »

Hi all, discovered this forum just after dd sat 11 plus sept.2012. Felt compelled to post regarding 11 plus system. Decided to put dd through process as she is naturally bright. Took on board advice fron foundation and apart from familiarisation sheet and very few practise papers found on internet(so she would not be daunted on exam day) no other measures were taken. So with no more than the summer holidays for practise I was immensely proud that she scored 212.

After reading numerous posts on this forum and also talking to other parents whose children have been through process, I now know how unlevel the playing field really is. Surely a fairer system can be deployed which is more tutor proof and helps those children who have not benefited from a better standard of primary education. Wonder how many children there are out there who have the intelligence but not the means to go through process.

Will end on positive note and congratulations to all children regardless of whether
they achieve QS or not.
josh sen

Re: Unlevel playing field

Post by josh sen »

I have started advising my friends against following the advice of "no tutor " .Normal state primary schools do not prepare children enough for these exams .The time constraints are too much for a child without regular practice .The exams are designed to test people who have regular practice yet they advice against such practice .
I must say I think someone is trying maintain the status quo by giving an advantage to DCs from private schools .Bin their advice .If they really wanted to help they would extend the very successful grammar school system .Try and sacrifice and get your child a good tutor (be very careful of the hustlers).
We started using a tutor 5months before the exam and we were lucky we did .
I know two DCs who have scored 270+ both are really smart kids but both have been tutored since year 2.

Keep supporting your DC and they will do great wherever they go .The exam is a very high pressure exam and not many can handle that kind of pressure that young .Some of the best have folded under such pressure .That is why I recommend familiarizing with the type of questions and the time constraints.

Most state schools do not even act as though the exam exist .
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

When we visited QMGS the young man who showed us round told us that all the boys in his year had done tutoring prior to the exam. This convinced me that we needed to do it too.

I know one child who scored high enough to get into any KE school without private tutoring - however he has been doing an hour a day at home for the past three years.

Problem is many primary schools are just feeder schools for secondary - especially faith schools - and have no interest in promoting grammar schools at all. Our son was the only child at his school to take 11+. State primaries could do a lot more to encourage bright children to apply.

However, tutoring is the way of the world whatever the Headteachers and examiners may say.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I agree with the state school comment. At my DS school no mention was made of 11+ at all. I think 7 sat the exam, we still don't know two of the results, but so far he is the only one who has a good enough score for GS.

I asked him if he had told his teacher and friends how well he has done, he said no because they wouldn't be interested!

He is at a faith school, so maybe they just want the kids to carry on to the feeder school which is also a faith school!
aynullina715

Post by aynullina715 »

We found about this exam just few months before it...school even never mention about it...my daughter have not been tutored and she scored 218...we are living only two years in England so for us it was an excellent result:)...but since I started to read posts on this forum i'm amazed how much some kids working with the help of tutors to achive high scores...My daughters score is not very high but she is only two years in England...have not spoke any English before and I'm so proud:)))...just only hoping now that it will be enough to get place in Sutton Girls because we love this school...Good luck for everyone with their school choices...
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

I am really annoyed with my DC's school. It is a faith school and they expect you to go to the feeder school. I wasn't aware of their attitude until 3 years ago when my son was in year 5 and I asked for advice at parents evening with respect to sending my son to GS. The teacher told me that they were not allowed to discuss it with me! I was shocked, as the LEA forms suggest you speak to the school about your decisions!!!

This year my DD took a GS entrance exam and got a super score. Last week at parents evening I mentioned that my DD did well, and was about to explain to the teacher that her prep in the summer would explain her high scores at school. Unfortunately the teacher suddenly changed the topic of conversation when I mentioned the GS. I could feel my face burning with humiliation. On my return home, my older son, who had the same teacher, told me this teacher didn't favour those who passed for GS. This has left me feeling rather disgusted with the school and their attitude. The headmistress addressed the current year 6 children last week and told them not to discuss GS at school, and whether they had passed or failed! My DD was dying to tell her friends she had passed.......talk about putting a dampener on things!

All I can say is that the extra tuition my DD received (home tutored) and others in the school, will stand to raise SAT's scores in the school!

It's a shame that the school cannot support those who wish to choose a GS! :(
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I feel the same way too. My DS attends an RC school. No mention has been made at all this year about entrance test dates and cut off dates.

When he was in year 4 he had job share teachers and when we discussed the possibility of GS for him , they were both extremely enthusiastic and said he was a clever boy who would do well and we should definately try.

During a year 5 parents evening we mentioned it to his teacher then and got a very different reaction, it was almost as if she didn't agree with it!

Last week, before he received his bham results, but after his good warks result, asked if he had told his teachers of friends, he said no because they wouldn't be interested.!

There appears to be 7 including DS who sat exams, we don't know 2 of the results, but my DS so far is the only one who will be going to GS, this is out of 60 children.

When he was in year 5, all the y5 and y6 students were given a maths sats paper to help place them in sets, he came second with 97% out of 120 students. I thought at the time the school should have approached us to say you have a bright lad, have you considered GS, but no.

I want to tell everyone how well he has done because I am so proud of him, but ,he doesn't want me to!

Although I did see his headmaster on Friday night and he came over to talk to me about something and I told him, he said My DS had done well and was a very bright boy. When I came back to my car the headmaster was still around and he called my DS over and shook his hand!

I do feel though there has been a distinct lack of assistance from the school, my DH believes it is because it is a faith school.

My niece is at a non faith school and my mom told me there were posters on the doors about the GS exams!

We are told not to tutor our kids, but surely if the schools are not helping, then it is down to us to give them the best chance possible.
Last edited by nervousmom on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

nervousmum, I am not sure if the boy's name you mention in your post is your son's name or someone else's but it might be a good idea to remove it.

A lot of state primaries do what you describe though, especially faith schools. They have no problem with taking the credit for good SAT results even though they would never achieve anything like those scores if half the children had not been tutored in some way outside school :roll:

UmSusu
UmSusu
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Hi UmSusu , thanks, didn't even realised name was on there, now duly changed to DS.

I agree with the sats comment, the school will certainly take the credit with those wont they.
xxdd123

Post by xxdd123 »

I am not sure how much tutoring would help. Our daughter has never been tutored and she has spent much more time on practising music instruments (2 hours per day) except for one week before the exam.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now