Fewer applications to KES as a result new grammar system?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MaryMcG

Re: Fewer applications to KES as a result new grammar system

Post by MaryMcG »

Thanks for that insight Happyrobbot.

My son would have liked CHB, but as we are only a few marks over last years threshold so if the band moves out my much ( which I suspect it might ) he won't be offered a place there. We are now looking at 5 Ways with him pointing out all of the positives which isn't difficult as its such a great school. He still says he wants to have a go for KES though so we will support him in that.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

We are not trying for kes but Warwick and Solihull.
We are still deliberating chb or Stratford too.
MaryMcG

Post by MaryMcG »

We were going to have a look at Solihull too and i know Warwick School has an excellent reputation for being a academic but rounded school, but It's just a bit too far for us. I don't want more than a 20 minute commute as my son loves to do lots of sport after school.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

We loved Warwick school, very clean and oldie feel about it. However just didn't get that warmth feeling or that click factor..
Dopey2012

Post by Dopey2012 »

"Thanks for that insight Happyrobbot.

My son would have liked CHB, but as we are only a few marks over last years threshold so if the band moves out my much ( which I suspect it might ) he won't be offered a place there. We are now looking at 5 Ways with him pointing out all of the positives which isn't difficult as its such a great school. He still says he wants to have a go for KES though so we will support him in that."

Just wondered why the poster quoted above suspects that the band will move by more than a few marks? It seems to be the general feeling but I am trying to see whether this is "fear talking" or whether there are significant changes that make this likely. If the latter then how much will "pass" scores vary by?
Thanks.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

No one can be sure what effect, knowing the results beforehand will have on QS.

As someone kindly explained to me: what we have from last year are 1219 applicants (who put CHB down somewhere on their form). Of them, 156 applicants scored 234+ last year. If a similar number (or possibly more - remember the no. of applicants have increased this year), perform just as well this year AND put CHB down as their 1st preference, it’s possible that CHB’s QS could reach an all time high. :shock:

I suppose, dps have nothing to lose by putting it down as their first preference anyway, and hope for the best. :)
MaryMcG

Post by MaryMcG »

Dopey,

Before finding this forum I was honestly completely ignorant as to how the 11 plus process worked. Having read many of the posts since the results have come out 2 things have concerned me:

1. 500 more children sat the exam this year. As I understand it this could (not will) create a situation following standardisation where you have a higher mark, but a lower rank, hence I am assuming that the requisite threshold mark will rise for a particular school.

However, someone suggested that these 500 extra children may just have been children from another area using the B'ham 11 + as a practice test and may not in fact list the schools on their preferences at all.

2. Secondly, I wonder if the fact that people have the scores before completing their preferences may influence the choices they make?

I think because these are variations from last year we can't rule out the impact that they may have on the threshold marks required for each school. However this is all speculation and we wont know until March!