Happy Eid

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nervousmom

Re: Happy Eid

Post by nervousmom »

Thank you. It's interesting to know what happens in other religions. As someone else pointed out on here, there really hasn't been much mention of Eid anywhere.

I am c of e, non practising and my DH and 3 children are Roman Catholic and they do go to mass ( although not every week, but they are practising catholic)

We are now in the first steps of preparing my daughter to take her First Holy Communion. She will be taking this in April, but before then has to attend parish sessions on 6 occasions to learn all about what it is and the religious meaning of it all and then has to attend a mass the following week after each session. she will also be prepared for her first confession in march next year. Thisnisndone the year the child turn 8.

My DS ,who will all being well going to FW next year, will have his confirmation next July.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

I pointed out the complete avoidance of this hiest event in any media outlet and recognition. But the first sign of any event that may have a negative bearing for the Muslim community is shown night and day by the media.

I hope one day my child can sacrifice a lamb with his own two hands here in UK.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

It would be a good day when we can all live together,in peace, and respect each other for who they are and what they believe in.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

And practice our faith as God intended.

Eid mubarek to all; time to chomp into freshly slaughtered lamb meat.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Paramjeet wrote:
Eid mubarek to all; time to chomp into freshly slaughtered lamb meat.
Hope you cooked it first! :D
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Eid Mubarak to all those celebrating.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I love lamb and samosas!

Eid Mubarak to all those celebrating this occasion.
um

Post by um »

Happ Eid to all. It has been a busy week :D

Like many other Muslims in the West, we give our Qurbani donation to a charity so that they can distribute the meat in poor countries or in places of war and hardship. This is an obligation for every family but happily my older sons will always donate out of their saved money for a Qurbani donation to make Eid a happier time for less fortunate families.

Not sure it is a great idea to get a child to slaughter a sheep in your front drive with a knife Paramjeet :shock: Are you sure you can take the fleece off yourself? :wink:
Once condition for meat being halal is that it is slaughtered humanely and swiftly by a skilled butcher .

I do completely agree with the apparent lack of general knowledge that it is Eid, given the significant Muslim community in many of our cities, including Birmingham. I had wanted to buy some chocolate lollies from Thorntons for Eid for the children, as I have done before, but when I went it was completely Halloween themed and they only had ghost and scary-things chocolate lollies, which weren't really appropriate. I ended up buying quite a few chocolate boxes for relatives, as I guess many hundreds of thousands of other Muslims in this city did, but the assistant treated me with genuine contempt when I asked if they had any non-Halloween children's things :roll: saying that it was Halloween season and that was all they had.

Tescos were somewhat different with Eid themed leaflets coming through the door and discounts on the Mango juice :lol:

I think we should all be well mannered enough to acknowledge other's celebrations, whether Eid, Diwali, Christmas, Chinese New Year or Hannukah, and schools should take that into account too.
Many schools will have a majority of children who have just celebrated Eid and will do nothing to mark the occasion at all.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

I don't think it's fair to suggest that many schools are oblivious to Eid celebrations. It's certainly not the case in primary schools. As a supply teacher, I work in many schools across the West-Midlands and have really appreciated the efforts some teachers have gone to organising various plays and assemblies on Eid.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

In Islamic countries young kids take part in the slaughter process. You should try it someday. It's the Sunna.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now